Happy with the concept

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

but I'm not too thrilled with the pen. It's cypress that I vacuum dyed using black fabric dye. This is what it looked like before and after turning. You can see how black the blank is (right of the turned barrel).

2006674829_black_dyed_cypress.jpg

The cypress is just a bit too soft for my liking (dropped it about 5 inches while assembling and got a small dent in the lower barrel:(). Black Chrome Berea Cigar, CA finish.

2006674952_cigarBC_black_dyed_cypress.jpg

I also dyed some Maple, Ash and Sycamore. Hopefully they'll turn out like this. They all sank after three days, so I'm hopeful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Interesting. I like the result...not too crazy about the shape of the pen though [:D] Finish is wonderful as usual [^]

angboy

Well Billy, I like everything about it! I like the shape (in fact, I just printed out a picture of it to borrow the idea) and I also like the dye job, even though it wasn't what you intended. I like the sort of faded look and I guess it was just luck, but it's neat how it's similar color towards the centerband on each part, and then fades out as you get further away.

wood-of-1kind

Billy, nice work and your usual excellent finish. Have you considered applying more of the 'colour' after you have sanded to desired size? It's worked for me when I wanted to add more colour to my blank.

-Peter-

BigRob777

Billy,
I'm drying some green blanks that I dyed, but I forgot to vacuum them. If they don't turn out, I'll reapply the dye after turning and before sanding. I applied green dye to a curly maple blank a few months ago and it worked out fairly well. I just sent a bunch of blanks for red and blue dyeing and stabilizing. They'll likely look even better.
Rob

alamocdc

Thanks, all! Angela, I noticed the same thing. I dyed the blanks in two pieces and the CB is where I made the cut. The other two ends would probably have been just as dark if I had trimmed them to rough size prior to dyeing. I just didn't (and still don't) know what I was going to turn from them.

Peter, I didn't really think of that, but I might try it on the next one. I'll just have to let it dry for another three of four days, but it might be worth it.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Billy,

You might try drilling the blank before vacuum dying. I do it all the time with plexi/tone mix and dye to stabilize and dye at the same time. The drilled blank allows more surface area for the dye to penetrate. Here is a couple of pens I dyed/stabilized. The wood is spalted hackberry cross cut.

dyedhackberry3.jpg

This one was dyed first with blue dye mix and then once dry, done again with bordeaux mix. Both with plexi/acetone.
hackberrydoubledyed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom