Happy Meal Pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Wanted to go with the same whiteish boxelder band as my redwood pen, but long story short, my 'shop' sucks. Had to use what was laying around my feet, a drilled piece of redwood was all I had.

Crap lighting as always, hence my head in the lower part of the photo.

Makes me want McDonald's fries....

orange.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Charles was asking about the yellow. The setting on the camera adds a little yellow, but the pen is just as yellow in person, only a little lighter. Here's a pic for comparison. Note the pad and pen on the left side, the pen and paper to the right side.

orange3.jpg

Skye

Thanks.

I'm not a fan of the colors. Probably should have waited till I got my 7mm drill back (left it at work) and used a different centerband, but I'm impatient.

TBone

Skye
I like the pen, it's different and does sort of have the McDonald's or Ketchup/Mustard theme. Reminds me of the old 'hotdog' color scheme of Windows 3.11. What is the yellow wood?

Skye

Yeah, I should have put some of those red and yellow bottles in the background.

It's Osage Orange, only my second time working with it. Nice stuff.

Fangar

Skye,

This looks nice to me. I like the loud color and contrast of the centerband. Fit and finish looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Fangar

Skye

Well, I dont like to show favoritism to one particular artery clogging vendor. I like to spread the wealth. [xx(]

Thanks all

Skye

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Not to sound too amateurish, but when you make the center band.. do you glue that to the cap and turn together or is the band turned separately[?][:)]

I like the pen.

No, ask anything you want!

I turn down the top till I get close to my final size. Then I take a chisel and turn the area the band is located all the way down to the brass tube.

Take the band, which is just a small piece of wood with a 7mm hole, and use the barrel trimmer on it, both sides. Helps to put a slimline tube over the trimmer to snug against the hole.

Take the cap off the mandrel, squirt on some thick glue. Take the band, shoot some accelerator on it. Smash the two together and press them very hard by hand. They'll bond quickly.

Put it all back on the lathe, turn down the band till it matches the rest of the cap, turn to final size.

Something I learned off Russ' site. http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pens.html

JDPens

That's really cool,
I was wondering how in the world you did that.
It sounds pretty efficient, it would also be alot easier to make sure you didn't turn the cap too far down and the band not matching up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom