Happy Boxing Day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PR_Princess

To all of our UK, Canadian, Aussie, South African members... and many more. Here's wishing you a

Happy Boxing Day!

For those who may not know, December 26th is a holiday in most Commonwealth countries.... Kinda of a cross between the US Superbowl Sunday and "Black Friday" when it is traditional to dress up in funny clothes, drink alcohol and engage in strange forms of entertainment. :eek::biggrin::cool:

The holiday has it's roots all the way back to the Middle Ages, and is meant to honour St. Stephen, who was know for his generosity to the poor.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Dress in funny clothes, drink alcohol, engage in weird forms of entertainment...

I am just curious why they need a Holiday for that? I do that EVERY DAY! lol

Druid

I was in the Bahama's three years ago on Boxing Day.... Junkanoo was awsome!!! Drank waaaaay too much rum!!!!:tongue:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Tsk Tsk Tsk, trust a broad to get it all wrong!!!!:mad:

Now here's the TRUTH about Boxing Day.....( I think we actually call it Family Day now, just for this reason):wink:

Most families have had it up to the eyeballs with the rellies that you only see at these annual Gathering of the Clans so after a few too many drinks, the fights inevitably start.............hence....Boxing Day:mad::biggrin:

I love my extended family dearly, but I'm glad when it all gets back to normal:redface:

dgscott

Boxing Day was also the time when household servants had the day off (they had to work on Christmas), and they would show up at their employers' homes with boxes to receive their employers' holiday gift of money for a year of service well rendered.

Speaking of servants, in the 1900 census, the largest single form of employment in the U.S. was family farmer. The second largest group was household servants! Now (at least in my house) the term "household servant" applies to me!
Doug

RAdams

Banned
Tsk Tsk Tsk, trust a broad to get it all wrong!!!!:mad:

Now here's the TRUTH about Boxing Day.....( I think we actually call it Family Day now, just for this reason):wink:

Most families have had it up to the eyeballs with the rellies that you only see at these annual Gathering of the Clans so after a few too many drinks, the fights inevitably start.............hence....Boxing Day:mad::biggrin:

I love my extended family dearly, but I'm glad when it all gets back to normal:redface:

One of my favorite songs of all time is about this very subject. Well, more accurately the song is about friends, and how they are usually closer than family. In fact, some of the lyrics are:

"Let me ask you this about this life that we live.
And try to swirve some of this attention you give.
To them distant a$$ relatives over ham dinner.
If they really missed you so much, why don't they just call a young brotha
Look, I probably love my family more than anybody here,
But my homeboys are family too, 3rd cousins, get outta here.
who was you with when yu got tattooed?
etc. etc. etc.

It gets a little "PG" from there, and i already changed a couple of the lyrics for younger viewers, but you get the idea.

My best friend is is Okinawa, My younger brother is in Ft. Myers Fl, and i am in Oklahoma. I talk to my brother once or twice a week for a grand total of 2 minutes. I talk to my best friend overseas 3 to 5 times a week for a total of 3 to 6 hours.

Top Bottom