Happy 2000 to me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Two Thousand posts and counting. Gotta love IAP! When I hit 1000 I made myself a pen based on my skill level at the time. Today I made one for my 2000th :present:. I've learned SO much in that short amount of time. I did go kitless for this, but I went with a click pen instead of a fountain pen. It gave me fits throughout the entire process. The blank is one of my own suspended animations. I left it unpainted on purpose, I wanted to see through the pen. It's made from alumilite so it threaded easily. I'm gonna do my next in PR bc tapping PR isn't as bad as cutting external threads and I want to see how well it'll hold up. The hardest part was the front section, mainly getting the drill depths correct for the nib,spring,& refill sizes. Lots of test fitting and adjustments. I'm really happy with what I have and it'll be my new carry pen. Thanks for looking everyone and as always comments/questions/critique welcomed and appreciated!

100_3989576x700.jpg
100_3995610x700.jpg
100_4002700x375.jpg

Your Closeup:

100_3996646x700.jpg

Disassembled:

100_4005700x519.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

Congratulations! That is an awesome pen! Can you give more information on the click mechanism? I love click pens, and have been thinking about trying to make a kitless click, but I didn't know where to start with the mechanism.

hewunch

Really cool Jonathon! I like everything about it.... except the nose cone.... shape. I love the material, I love fact it threads in, I just don't care for the shape. I liked the shape on the one you did for Justin better. But hey, its your pen, and you should be proud of it. Great work!

crabcreekind

Congrats! sweet pen, i like the see though, usually see thru is a bad thing, but when there is no brass tube it looks cool. what pen # is that?

Bill Sampson

Jonathon,
Great looking pen!! The more I see the pens you and Bruce create, I think someday I may attempt kitless. Skill level must improve first.
Enjoyed your visit!
Bill Sampson

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looking good Jonathon! And, since you wanted a see-thru body, I won't say anything about that. I like the style and love the shape of that Nib :biggrin: Looks familiar to me for some reason. I like the colors in the blank. Nice work!

MarkD

Congrats on your 2K post!
Nice looking pen too! :biggrin:
Love the blank and I like the see through effect. Personally, I would prefer more taper on the nose cone, but to each his own!
Looking forward to the 3000th post!

Brooks803

Thanks everyone. The good thing about the nose cone/nib is that I can always make another to take it's place without ruining the pen. I kinda like it, it's grown on me throughout today.

Congratulations! That is an awesome pen! Can you give more information on the click mechanism? I love click pens, and have been thinking about trying to make a kitless click, but I didn't know where to start with the mechanism.

The click mech comes from Richard Greenwalds site.

Really cool Jonathon! I like everything about it.... except the nose cone.... shape. I love the material, I love fact it threads in, I just don't care for the shape. I liked the shape on the one you did for Justin better. But hey, its your pen, and you should be proud of it. Great work!

I liked that shape also, but after getting some feedback from Justin about it I went with this. You'll see it in Dec. (if you're going hopefully...) Maybe you'll have a change of heart then...:rolleyes:

Congrats! sweet pen, i like the see though, usually see thru is a bad thing, but when there is no brass tube it looks cool. what pen # is that?

Thanks, I couldn't tell you what # this was. I really haven't made that many pens in my 2yrs of turning. I don't do shows so I don't have a large inventory.

sumterdad

Cool pen. You have put pressure on us new guys to try something like that in as little time as you. Congratulations

cnirenberg

Jonathon,
Great looking pen. I love the clicker. I like the nose cone section the way it is. If you wanted it to look like the CSUSA Clicker you would have, way to go with your own design. Keep us informed as to the endurance of the click mechanism. I have used the CS one for some time with no real problems, but now I have to go and do some research on the other. Thanks for posting this.

Brooks803

When I read "2000th" I thought you were going to post that my Vol blanks were your 2000th casting this week!!!:eek::biggrin:

I wish I could cast that many in a week! :hypnotized:

Cool pen. You have put pressure on us new guys to try something like that in as little time as you. Congratulations

Thanks Chris, way back then it was posts like this that got me to push my skills and creativity higher. I'll bring it the meeting in Dec and you'll see how I made it.

Jonathon,
Great looking pen. I love the clicker. I like the nose cone section the way it is. If you wanted it to look like the CSUSA Clicker you would have, way to go with your own design. Keep us informed as to the endurance of the click mechanism. I have used the CS one for some time with no real problems, but now I have to go and do some research on the other. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Cris! The cool thing about the click mech is that it's ALL metal. No plastic to break, or spring to wear out. There is a spring, but that's on the parker refill just like all our ballpoints. Plus it's 100% QUIET! No click sound at all.

turbowagon

Love this pen!

One suggestion for the next one --- for transparent blanks with an opaque nib --- would be to put the male threads on the transparent section and the female threads on the nib if that is possible. That way you hide the threads.

Although the threads can add to the "industrial" look if that's what you're going for.

- Joe

Brooks803

Love this pen!

One suggestion for the next one --- for transparent blanks with an opaque nib --- would be to put the male threads on the transparent section and the female threads on the nib if that is possible. That way you hide the threads.

Although the threads can add to the "industrial" look if that's what you're going for.

- Joe

Thanks Joe, thats a really good idea! I'm gonna try a one piece next to try and eliminate the issue all together :cool:

BSea

Really cool kitless clickers you've been making. Maybe I'll get to one of those soon. But I think I'm going to order some alumalite 1st.

Top Bottom