Hand Wheel Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Picked this hand wheel up on eBay for around $10 and made mounts for using it on the mini lathe spindle or lead screw.

The first attachment shows the hand wheel mounted to the spindle.

The second attachment shows the wheel mounted to the lead screw.

The third attachment shows the mounting hardware for each mount. The spindle mount is a piece of black iron that was turned down to about .772" and cut in half on a 30 degree angle. A washer was welded on each end and a nut also attached to one end. The welds holding the washers are inside the tubes. A 5/16 bolt is use to hold everything together. I turned a bushing to reduce the 12mm thru hole in the hand wheel and milled a keyway which keeps the wheel from spinning freely.

Chuckie

Attachments

• hw1.JPG
    hw1.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 745
  • hw2.JPG
    hw2.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 389
  • hw3.JPG
    hw3.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike D

Nice mod but I have to ask. I could see a need for it on the lead screw, why a hand wheel on the drive spindle? Not being critical just asking so I understand.

Curly

Nice accessory Chuck.

Mike there are some that like to hand turn the spindle when single point thread cutting threads to a shoulder. Gives you control over where to stop the cut.

azamiryou

Nice mod but I have to ask. I could see a need for it on the lead screw, why a hand wheel on the drive spindle? Not being critical just asking so I understand.

Someday when I find/make the time, I want to make a handwheel for my spindle. In addition to single-point threading, I find a lot of situations where I want to turn the work piece, just to get a look at it from different angles. Also if I want to dust a piece, or sand it lengthwise, or apply anything to it (lubricant, finish, CA to stabilize). Although I can do these things turning the chuck by hand, it's not very convenient and would be much easier with a handwheel.

Mike D

Someday when I find/make the time, I want to make a handwheel for my spindle. In addition to single-point threading, I find a lot of situations where I want to turn the work piece, just to get a look at it from different angles. Also if I want to dust a piece, or sand it lengthwise, or apply anything to it (lubricant, finish, CA to stabilize). Although I can do these things turning the chuck by hand, it's not very convenient and would be much easier with a handwheel.

Thanks Matthew for the info. Now I understand. I'll be getting a metal lathe later this week and am trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks again!

Top Bottom