Hand Tool Cabinet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

I finally finished my hand tool cabinet. Based on a design from Fine Woodworking magazine. Oak. Dovetailed case (good practice).

Now I need more tools... :)

Attachments

• image-151337127.jpg
    image-151337127.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 261
  • image-1201208828.jpg
    image-1201208828.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 553
  • image-295214262.jpg
    image-295214262.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 336
  • image-1397986747.jpg
    image-1397986747.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Dan, it's a beautiful cabinet, you did a fantastic job building it. One thing though, from the looks of what I see in pic#2 and #3, you didn't build it large enough.
Len

Dan Masshardt

Dan, it's a beautiful cabinet, you did a fantastic job building it. One thing though, from the looks of what I see in pic#2 and #3, you didn't build it large enough. Len

No such thing as large enough but I'll need to get several new tools before it'll be time for a bigger one.

Very nice Dan, but you didn't leave much room for growth!!! You have a couple for really nice planes there. Is the router plane a Lie Nielson or a Veritas?

My son in laws grandfather collected Stanley planes and I seen the collection once or twice. He had at least one of EVERY plane Stanley made. From the very obscure #113 circular, #196 curved rabbit, even a #45 and #46 with all the cutters. And full set of the Bedrocks in both smooth and corrugated. Well over 300 planes. He could open a museum with just that collection, probably one of the most complete in the world.

Mike

Dan Masshardt

Very nice Dan, but you didn't leave much room for growth!!! You have a couple for really nice planes there. Is the router plane a Lie Nielson or a Veritas? My son in laws grandfather collected Stanley planes and I seen the collection once or twice. He had at least one of EVERY plane Stanley made. From the very obscure #113 circular, #196 curved rabbit, even a #45 and #46 with all the cutters. And full set of the Bedrocks in both smooth and corrugated. Well over 300 planes. He could open a museum with just that collection, probably one of the most complete in the world. Mike

I thought it looked empty! Lol. There is plenty of room. I have extra stuff stashed. I can put another half dozen bench planes on the ramp and the lower gallery for smaller planes is pretty much empty.

The doors are deep enough do have a door inside with two layers deep if I wanted to in the future. The door racks are just screwed in son that they can reconfigured as time goes on. I also need two more spokeshaves. :).

The molding planes likely won't live in the cabinet long term. I have another cabinet in mind for them.

BKelley

Very nice cabinet, good planning. Only thing I would change, I would have used solid brass hinges with a brush finish. Just my opinion, otherwise beautiful work.

Ben

Dan Masshardt

Very nice cabinet, good planning. Only thing I would change, I would have used solid brass hinges with a brush finish. Just my opinion, otherwise beautiful work. Ben

I hear you. If I do another one someday I'll likely use three seperate hinges per side. Not sure what finish I'd use.

Top Bottom