Hammer Handle Pen & Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

[FONT=&amp]A couple years back I found and downloaded a pen stand designed by Steve Good at Scrollsaw Workshop scroll down the page to see his stand. So to start off let me thank him for the inspiration. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I had intended to someday make some like it but never really found an excuse. Well a couple months back I had asked my brother if he had anything wooden from our dad who had passed several years ago, summer 1987. Anyway my brother brought me an old but unused hammer handle that he had found in Dad's shop just after Dad had passed. Even though it was unused it had apparently lain around his shop for quite some time because it was very dirty, greasy looking, and paint spattered and my brother had kept it that way in storage over the intervening years.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Here is a picture.
IMG_9163_2_4_Detail.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I wanted it(or something turn-able) to make some "In Memory Of" pens for all my siblings, two sisters and the brother mentioned earlier, as a Christmas present this year. I was thinking of a "memory pen" on a stand in front of a photo of dad and the "something turn-able". As it turned out the hammer handle was perfect for the pens.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Here are the pens and a prototype of the photo I am thinking about[/FONT]:
IMG_9918_7_9_Detail.jpg InMemory.jpg
The photo for the background shows dad at two different times in his life and the process used to make the pens, it is a work in progress and subject to change, don't really like it at this point but...

[FONT=&amp]Now all I needed was four small stands, that is when I remembered the downloaded stand template and took a look at it. The plan is actually a scroll saw template and that seem like a lot of sanding work so I thought I would see if I could come up with a similar designed that could be turned on a lathe.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]This is the resulting stand.[/FONT]
IMG_9987_6_8_Detail.jpg IMG_9978_7_9_Detail.jpg

All four pens on their stands.
IMG_9998_7_9_Detail.jpg

[FONT=&amp]I will post in another thread my process I used to make it.

Any and all C&C appreciated.[/FONT]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

JD...What an AWESOME tribute and remembrance of you Dad!!! I think what you did is wonderful and wish I had something similar to remember my Father from other than the few photos I have of him... Can't express my feelings for what you did and I'm sure you and your family will love the beautiful pens and stand as a tribute to his life and the love the family remembers him by! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Fay Prozora

Great job on the hammer handle and the pen stands. I have made a few of those too. I wonder if the pen stand can be turned by way of inside out turning? I would think they could some how.. Every thing looks great... Fay

JD Combs Sr

That is a great story, and a wonderful way to remember your Dad.
Love the stands.
Bob.
Awesome memories. Great looking pens and stands.
Building Memories.........beautiful work.......Wonderful stands.......Great pens
What more can You ask for?
Awesome.......Not just the pens but the idea and the thoughtfulness for your Dad and your family. Great story thanks.
Cool. I have a hammer handle from my grandfather that I'm going to turn very soon.
The stands look great too.
JD...What an AWESOME tribute and remembrance of you Dad!!! I think what you did is wonderful and wish I had something similar to remember my Father from other than the few photos I have of him... Can't express my feelings for what you did and I'm sure you and your family will love the beautiful pens and stand as a tribute to his life and the love the family remembers him by! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you! Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Very cool
Thanks Folks, appreciate all the comments.

A comment made on another forum suggested a small photo of dad on the stand to kind of tie the two together but a pic is not practical however, the suggestion has got me to thinking, I may add some text to the base of the stand such as "Dad's hammer handle as a pen". I may also replace the group of pens shot in the lower right of the collage with the shot of the single pen and it's stand.

If anyone has any other suggestions on composing the entire arrangement feel free to make suggestions. Like I said above it is still a work in progress.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Top Bottom