Hairline cracks on tru-stone-Can it be saved?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akingkubo

I have a new pen kit I bought from PSI called the Southwest pen that I am wanting to try. I chose a tru-stone pen blank turquoise. My husband drills all my pen blanks cause I mess mine a lot when I do it. When he drilled the short end, it had a hairline crack that went through and through the inside. It's a good thing, I have a leftover blank that is just enough for the short side to redo.
Can I save the cracked one? It is suck a hairline crack, I don't think a thin CA will fill (I might be wrong).
I hardly throw any ruin blanks hoping I can salvage them some other way. Tru-stone and acrylics are harder and finicky when it comes to drilling. I found out brad points are not a good choice for these.
Can I save this blank from the trash bin monster?
Thanks! Maria

SteveG

You can save it. The thin CA will fill and secure the crack, and the pen clip can be used to hide anything that might need hiding. One word of caution: "Thin" CA will wick into the smallest, tightest of cracks. But "thin" CA gets less thin after the bottle has been sitting on the workbench for a while. It still 'looks' thin, but does not wick into the tight cracks anymore.

You can save it, but you will probably see the hairline crack no matter what you do.. The best thing to do is to hide it as Steve suggests. Many times I try to save using contrasting dye mixed in with the CA, or a piece of contrasting laminate between the two parts to set it off. R T Research, (the makers of Tru-Stone) suggest these options and even mixing color additive to try to match the color of the Tru-Stone. I've tried that a few times but can never get the color to match to my satisfaction. Try it on a scrap piece first and wait until it dries. The color may change.

akingkubo

Thanks, guys! I did save the blank and put thin CA. I am going to let you know what happens. 'Appreciate your help!
Maria

Top Bottom