Had to post this one...Tambootie and Wildebeest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marksman

marksman

Hello all! I haven't post much, if anything, for a while. Been busting my rear in the shop and doing other things but I had to post this one. It is a collaborative effort between me and Tim K. Tim masterfully crafted the box and I made the pen. Both the box and the pen are made from Tambootie wood from South Africa and Wildebeest bone. The double ring on the upper cap is segmented wildebeest bone. Tim also used the ends of the wildebeest bone in the box to cradle the pen. We luckily got a piece of Tambootie that naturally had the weathered area which Tim used to accent the outside of the box.

Not sure I'm going to be able to give this one up to it's intended recipient. Thanks for your help on this Tim! It turned out so much better than expected.

Tambootie-Pen-box-closed-3-800x600.jpg

Tambootie-Pen-Box-open-1-800x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is one incredible set! I'm thinking there is a story behind this... "Wildebeest..." not your everyday material :eek:

But, I love the box and pen ! Very nice collaboration!

Tim K

Mark,
Thank you for the opportunity to work with you on this project. This makes a great set! What a beautiful pen. I think your client will be very happy!

marksman

Thanks to all for looking and comments.

That is one incredible set! I'm thinking there is a story behind this... "Wildebeest..." not your everyday material :eek:

But, I love the box and pen ! Very nice collaboration!

Working on the story but I hope one develops when this guy sees this set.

Very Impressive collaboration!

Like the Marksman logo in the finial - do you make those yourself as well?

I had a few hundred of the finials cast by a company in CT.

Very well done. Do you mind .....how did you finish the tambooti? CA or other finish?

The box and pen were finished with Pens Plus. Tambootie is a dense wood, reminded me of Ironwood, so it finished very nicely.

OZturner

Masterful Work Mark and Tim.
Outstanding Material for the Blank and Box, the addition of the Wildebeest bone, is Unique and Inspiring as is the Custom Finial.
The Total Project Reflects the calibre of the Two Craftsmen.
Perfection Personified.
Congratulations,
Brian.

ThinkBlot

Marksman,
Beautiful set you guys have crafted there!

I've been considering turning a pen from Tambootie for a friend of mine, but have been hesitant because of the issues I've heard with the wood (including skin and eye irritation from the sap and/or raw shavings, allergic reactions, and of course the blunting of tools and difficulty sanding). Did you happen to experience any of these issues? Will the Pens Plus finish completely seal the wood so that none of the oils seep to the writer's hand, or would a different finishing system work better for this?

Thanks for your thoughts, and for sharing the photos of your work!

marksman

Marksman,
Beautiful set you guys have crafted there!

I've been considering turning a pen from Tambootie for a friend of mine, but have been hesitant because of the issues I've heard with the wood (including skin and eye irritation from the sap and/or raw shavings, allergic reactions, and of course the blunting of tools and difficulty sanding). Did you happen to experience any of these issues? Will the Pens Plus finish completely seal the wood so that none of the oils seep to the writer's hand, or would a different finishing system work better for this?

Thanks for your thoughts, and for sharing the photos of your work!

Yeah, I heard of the dangers of Tambootie...after the fact. I didn't experience any issues while working with it. The wood that we used was very aged and well dried out. I can't really say for sure about the Pens Plus but it did seem to seal it pretty well. Maybe some of the Pens Plus experts can comment.

Thanks for commenting.

Marksman

Top Bottom