Had to have one of my own!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

After seeing this blank a few months back I had to have one as an avid cyclist. This is the first Jeff Powell blank I have turned and all I can say is WOW. This stuff turns amazing. It's like cutting butter!

Comments and critique welcome. Paired it up with a simple Jr. Retro in TiGold. I'm not comfortable turning replacement finials yet or I would have done so from the cutoff.

Attachments

• IMG_0903_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0903_1 (Custom).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0906_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0906_1 (Custom).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0912_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0912_1 (Custom).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0914_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0914_1 (Custom).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0908_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0908_1 (Custom).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Also not sure why, but the cap is most definitely not out of round as it looks in that 3rd picture. Must have lost the upper edge detail against the white background.

Gilrock

Yeah I really love that blank though I didn't buy one yet. I was really liking you're photography as well. I've got a pen from a homemade blank that I've not posted because I can't get it photograph well.

My profile pic is also a Jeff Powell blank and it looks like it uses the same white in the mix. I'm really curious to know if that white is done using PR or Alumilite if anyone knows. I love the look of some of those opaque colors and I just don't get that in the PR with mica powders.

jd99

Thats a good looking blank, I have three of Jeff's blanks I bought for the wife but I haven't had time to turn them yet.

I bought the ones that had the double hearts in them for her Jewelry Business, (Heart 2 Heart jewelry) :)

Justturnin

Looks great Carl. I think the OOR is due to the lighting and the fact the white blank blends into the white background. One thing that I think would look neat, I've never done it but know it's been done, would be to remove the finial cap and add a piece of the blank up there as well.

Carl Fisher

Looks great Carl. I think the OOR is due to the lighting and the fact the white blank blends into the white background. One thing that I think would look neat, I've never done it but know it's been done, would be to remove the finial cap and add a piece of the blank up there as well.

I would love to but not comfortable trying it with such a small piece of material in my 4-jaw. Once I get my collet chuck that's one of the first things on my list to figure out...that and close ends.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Also not sure why, but the cap is most definitely not out of round as it looks in that 3rd picture. Must have lost the upper edge detail against the white background.
If you figure out how to avoid that let me know. I get quite a few pictures that seem to show a defect that I know for certain is not on the pen....

Justturnin

I would love to but not comfortable trying it with such a small piece of material in my 4-jaw. Once I get my collet chuck that's one of the first things on my list to figure out...that and close ends.

Yea, I am not sure how they do it either. I figured it was a small scrap on a glue block formed, sanded, polished and parted off. I am not comfortable taking a part apart like that yet much less making it.....

Carl Fisher

I've popped the finial off the Jr. series by accident a time or two and am comfortable with that part. I've also watched a few videos on finial turning but just am not quite equipped enough yet. sooooooon :biggrin:

Carl Fisher

Well, if one is good, 3 is better right?

I still have one more running man to build out, but don't have a kit selected for it yet. Just had to turn the other 2 after the first one turned out so nicely.

Not sure why the 2nd cyclist blurred the way it did. I can only think I was a touch off on trying to center on the image when I drilled.

Attachments

• IMG_0918_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0918_1 (Custom).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0920_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0920_1 (Custom).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom