Checked

Just had to try this.

2005621211840_Aluminum2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />I've tried aluminum but I didn't buff it so I'm definitely going to have to try it again.!
The problem with buffed aluminum is that it becomes unbuffed fairly quickly if you use the pen. Well, maybe it depends on how you use it - if the pen is carried loose in a pocket or briefcase it will quickly loose its shine. Unless you clear-powdercoat it or apply some similar potection!

Checked

Thanks for the comments.
Read the article on the home page by James Mann as he addresses almost all of the questions anybody might have.
I was lucky to get the Aluminum from the Company I work for.Was at the factory in Canada last week where the engineers had a package of 3/4 X 3 inch cylinders with a 7mm hole drilled in the middle, as a present for me. I had given them pens a few months ago and knew I wanted to try my hand at Aluminum.
Just a warning that Airport security WILL have a few questions about Aluminum blanks in your luggage.
No problem drilling and I did not use any tubes on the pens.

Fangar

Originally posted by Checked
<br />Thanks for the comments.
Read the article on the home page by James Mann as he addresses almost all of the questions anybody might have.
I was lucky to get the Aluminum from the Company I work for.Was at the factory in Canada last week where the engineers had a package of 3/4 X 3 inch cylinders with a 7mm hole drilled in the middle, as a present for me. I had given them pens a few months ago and knew I wanted to try my hand at Aluminum.
Just a warning that Airport security WILL have a few questions about Aluminum blanks in your luggage.
No problem drilling and I did not use any tubes on the pens.

Like I said before, great job! Do you remember what you drilled the Baron top an bottom to? I am glad you found my tutorial useful. It looks like you did a great job on all the fitting.

Cheers,

James

dubdrvrkev

You guys are going to kill me with this stuff. I consider myself more of a woodworker that turns pens, so alternate materials have not taken too much hold of me BUT, I really like the aluminum look and may have to give it a try. I ran across a website that sold blanks (drilled rod stock) I may have to give them a look or see what I may have laying around work, in the scrap bins of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom