Had a bad reaction on Saturday...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I just got home from the ER from last night.
(It's about 2 AM Sunday as I write this.)
My Dr. just changed my blood pressure meds, and I had a bad reaction to it.
I was reaching for the fridge door, and the next thing I know, I'm on a gurney being loaded in an ambulance.
Apparently, I passed right out. Thank goodness my wife was here at the time. She called the ambulance for me.

The ER said I had a reaction to the new meds. I am not supposed to be in the sun for any length of time because of other meds I'm on. I wasn't in the sun, but I had a reaction all the same. The ER Dr. said he'd call my family Dr. on Monday & tell him what happened.

I'm ok as such, but my shoulder is killing me & I have a big bump on my head. I must have landed on my shoulder.

Talk about a bad night.
Whew! :frown:

I forgot to add, the ER Dr. told me not to take the new meds anymore.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Wow, Herb. That was a bad night. It's a good thing your wife was there - I'm sure she was really scared for you.

Be sure to follow that ER Doc's advice :)

randyrls

Glad you are OK.... Many meds interact and if you are taking certain combinations, it causes problems. Finally make sure the adverse reaction is reported to the FDA along with all other meds (even over the counter) you are taking. DO this yourself!

Herb G

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I appreciate it. My wife told me I turned white as a sheet when I stood up from the table. I was going to the fridge to get a glass of tea, and WHAM! I was on the floor.

Pretty scary stuff. The ER Dr. said he thinks my BP went way too low, and I was dehydrated on top of it.

I don't use any OTC meds, so at least I don't have to worry about that.
I know one thing. My head is killing me today. My shoulder isn't much better.

I guess I will be taking it easy the next few days.

Akula

Glad you're ok and the Wife was at home.

My Meds scare me as well. They all come with a big list of side effects but what choices do we really have?

Hope it turns out that your blood pressure dropped too far and it's something simple to adjust. I always eat something before or after taking meds (for one reason, they upset a empty stomach)

robutacion

That would have been horrifying to your life and to yourself when you come to, nasty reaction to drugs/medications is not rare but, if you have a GP that has been dealing with you for a long time, they should know what type drugs to avoid however, they are also human and make mistakes that can have deadly results to their patients.

You are no spring chicken mate, as I can testify with all certainty, after certain age we don't bounce that well anymore and any small falls can cause immense troubles so, get better soon and lets hope that will not happen again...!

I wonder what you GP will say when he finds out...!

Cheers
George

tomtedesco

Glad you are here and able to tell us your story. Hope the Dr's figure out the problem ASAP. Take the wife out to dinner for taking care of you.

Herb G

Just a follow up. I landed on my right side. I know this because there's a big purple bruise coming up on my hip. The Dr. I am seeing is a replacement for my regular Dr. who retired. They did away with my paper records after he retired.
Now, everything is on a computer.

I will go see my Dr. this week so I can get my meds straightened out.
You guys are right about one thing. I was lucky my wife was here & I sure ain't as young as I used to be.

donstephan

Everyone should be aware that as we become seniors and beyond, our bodies may not metabolize medicines the same as they did. Hence the need for more frequent blood tests for drug concentrations in our blood. But a change in medicines and/or dosages always requires a bit more caution for the first few weeks. Glad you weren't seriously hurt in the fall.

Top Bottom