H E L P

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Consider assisting me with advice on how to hide the seam, finish the ends, taper the top to the clip and anything else. There are oiled 2 or 3 oz. cow hide wrapped around a cigar tube.

Pens - 3-24-11 Leather test 1.jpg

Pens - 3-24-11 Leather test 2.jpg

Pens - 3-24-11 Leather test 3.jpg

Pens - 3-24-11 Leather test 4.jpg

Pens - 3-24-11 Leather test 5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patmurris

This is something i want to try one day, with various materials.

I can't off much advice here though, but i'm wondering about the length of your leather 'tubes', they are a few millimeters short. You can probably shorten a bit the upper brass tube to match the leather, but i don't think you can do that on the lower one - not on this kit i believe. Add an extra leather band to fill the gap?

ctubbs

Its a little late now, but if you had sliced, I think it is called scything where the back of the leather is removed at an angle, then the seam could have been overlapped and and been much less evident. Also the edges next to the hardware could have been done the same to allow a better fit. I am no leather worker but have seen that process done. It might not even work on something as small as a pen. How about using a lighter or softer leather? I hope you do find some good answers to your problem, John.
Charles

TomS

The best way to hide the seam (you can never completely hide it) is to make the leather piece about 1/8 longer than needed. Then skive (taper) each side to about a 30 degree angle. Then glue down one edge, wrap the tube completely, and overlap the second edge, and glue it down. Use contact cement on the tube and leather to hold everything in place. You can try to cover the seam with lacing, but since the tube is so small, the lacing might overpower the leather work. Using cord, and doing a baseball stitch might work also. You can find books on this at a Tandy Leather Factory near you.
Tom

TomS

John,
I forgot to mention above, on the ends, you can skive them also. Keep checking your progress to make sure the ends match up, then glue it like mentioned above.
Tom

Jgrden

Its a little late now, but if you had sliced, I think it is called scything where the back of the leather is removed at an angle, then the seam could have been overlapped and and been much less evident. Also the edges next to the hardware could have been done the same to allow a better fit. I am no leather worker but have seen that process done. It might not even work on something as small as a pen. How about using a lighter or softer leather? I hope you do find some good answers to your problem, John.
Charles
Scything, that is the answer. Thank you.

Jgrden

After holding the pen and writing with it, I have to say it has a real nice feel. Skin lanolin will make it look even better as time permits.

paps

Pretty cool lookin pen there. Haven't tried leather on a pen yet, so can't help with your questions but it looks like others have pointed you in the right direction.

shootintom

The word you are looking for is "SKIVE". It's a leather working technique to thin the edges of leather so that if you overlap them you don't have a build up.

Tom

Top Bottom