Grizzly Wood Lathe Yes No ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rmwalls

Looking to purchase a new lathe, Grizzly Model G-0658 VS. $425.00 delivered. Is this a good lathe or should I stay away from this company. Electronic display a must for me but at max budget for lathe. Thoughts Opinions Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

razor524

I saw in the new Penn State catalog their new lathe has an electronic display, since you say that is a must, and it is right around that same price. You might want to at least take a look at it.

Gary Max

With free shipping ---how could you pass it up.
Look at how much more it would cost to move up to the next size lathe.
Plus I like the service they have.

Len Shreck

I have a lot of Grizzly tool and have had nothing but great luck with them. I had a problem with a live center I got from them but they changed it for a new one no problem, they offer great service and tech support. I have not looked at the PSI one but if you decide on the Grizzly I think you will be very satisfied with your purchase. Keep us updated please.
Len

Rifleman1776

Most of my major tools are Grizzly. My experience is the same as Len's. Top grade all the way. Service is unexcelled.
GTW, my G0632 lathe has the digital read out. Nice and fun but hardly a necessity. I would call it "handy". Best thing it does is remind me I haven't shut off main power to lathe. I do that as a protection against the EVS getting blown out in the event of a lightening strike.
The lathe you have in mind is a good one but I wouldn't limit the shopping possibilities just for the digi read out.

hilltopper46

I've had that lathe since August 2008. I love most things about it but have had one bad experience with it.

This fall the switch quit working on it. For a while I could wiggle it, and finally it got to where it wouldn't come on, no matter what. I finally ordered a new switch.

I got the old one out and started to put it back in. To make a long story short, the cabling between the control board (front side of lathe) and the power board (back side of lathe) and the speed sensor (top of the headstock) leaves no room for manipulation. I tore the cable connection for the speed sensor off the control board.

When I called Grizzly to order the control board it was not available, with no promise of a ship date and the cost was (IIRC) ~$90. The control box (complete assembly, including switch was ~$200. They couldn't offer any other suggestions.

A friend and coworker of mine worked for Canon, fixing circuit boards to put himself through school. He was able to fix the board. Oh, BTW, the reason the connector broke off the board is because it wasn't potted properly during the manufacturing process.

I put the board back in with the new switch and the lathe is running again. However, whenever I switch it on I can hear the contacts in the switch arcing so I know it is just a matter of time until I will have to do it all over again. When/if I do, I will probably recable the lathe so I have some slack to work with in the wires.

One other small thing on the lathe - on almost all the other similar lathes the hole for the tool rest is on the headstock side of the slide. On this lathe, it is on the tailstock side which can make it awkward to get the tool rest close to a large bowl.

The speed control on this lathe "hunts" for lack of a better term. I have another electronic variable speed lathe that does not do this. By hunting, I mean that if the lathe is running in mid range or high range in a medium speed on the dial, when you load it with the gouge or parting tool, the lathe will slow down and then speed up to where under load it almost runs faster than at no load. Then when you take the load off, it speeds up quite a bit and then slows down to the 'set' speed.

The size of the lathe is very nice - smallish but big enough to turn a 12-inch blank. Oh, that reminds me - download the owners manual and read through it before you buy. The outboard turning attachment is of limited use - the only way to mount something to it is with a waste block screwed into the four holes on the hand wheel.

The lathe runs very smoothly and quietly.

Len Shreck

I have never really had any problems with my Grizzly tools but reading this I would be sure to do some checking into these things, maybe Grizzly re-worked the setup and it isnt like that anymore? It is something I would call Customer service and ask about before buying. That is a bigger investment for a tool so I would want all the info I could get my hands on. I am sure if you look into it you will find problems from someone with the PSI Lathe, anything mechanical will breakdown it is just the matter of what will break and what it takes to repair it. Please keep us posted just in case I come into some money and want to get a bigger badder ass lathe..lol Thanks Len

Skybill

My first lathe was the Grizzly mini wood lathe G9247. I had it just short of a year when it developed a crack in the bed from a casting flaw. I live in WA and had to make a trip to Bellingham, where Grizzly has a store, I took the lathe with me and after examining it for about 5 min. they gave me a new lathe!

I also have a Grizzly G1023SLW Table saw. Very solid and have had absolutely no issues with it.

If it was me looking to buy a new lathe, I'd go for it! I have a Jet Midi-Lathe now only because I was able to get it at a steal price.

Skybill

Totaly off topic, but where is the server for this forum located?

I just made the post above this one and it time stamped it as 09:00 AM. I'm on Pacific time and it's 01:02 AM right now!

mrtbone49

great lathe

I have the same one....from pens to large bowls, it is a great lathe....price is nice too..........Thats why I bought it and would buy again.:):)

PenMan1

I've had horrible luck with Grizzly. First problem was 555 "Ultimate Band Saw" was ultimate junk. could never get the wobble out of it. After 2 replacement tries Grizzly gave up and refunded the money.

I had a grizzsly mini lathe and it cracked all the way through. It was just bad casting. Unfortunately, there was no recourse on that one. Just stripped the usable parts and converted the lathe into a boat anchor.

marter1229

How about an update on the Grizzly G0658.
I am looking to update my G9247, which I have had for over a year, and have beat the snot out of it.
I did need parts replaced under warranty, and Griz was very helpful.
I got my finger on the trigger, just waiting to pull.

Terry

Kalai

I have had some Grizzly tools and I have to say that for me as a person who makes hundreds of bowls a year and pens but mostly bowls, do not get grizzly, but most people are not like me so the grizzly tools should do just fine, I know when grizzly first came out there lathes were crap, I bought there best they had to offer and my regular 12 inch delta was better than that, my friend had one of there low price lathes and it was a toy, he sent it back, but that was long ago, I have seen there new lathes and I think they are a lot better and would be good for the home craftsmen or even a prolific penturner.
I turn big bowls and I have a General 22", Powermatic 24", Delta 16", a rockwell 12" and a home made lathe that will turn 4 feet 8 inches in diameter, oh ya I have mini lathe, I think it is a china version of the the mini Jet and I have a antique metal lathe that I am turning into a ornamental lathe (rose engine).
So to sum it up go for that grizzly lathe it will be a great lathe for you and like everyone says they do have a good service record. Aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

KenBrasier

I like the Grizzly tools, and when I was ready for a new lathe, drove to the Springfield, MO showroom to Get a G0658. They were out of stock, my bad,:mad::mad::mad: I should have called. So I ordered and paid for one:biggrin::biggrin:. 2 months later they sent me a post card saying they were still out of stock and didn't know when they would be available:frown::frown:.

So, after all the above useless information, I really can't comment on the quality of the Grizzly G0658, because I now have a Jet JWL-1220VS and love it:biggrin::rolleyes::):tongue:. But I still love my Grizzly Tools, No wait, I think I just love tools in general.

Top Bottom