Grizzly 7x12 with PSI collet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatpen

I have an old Jet 1236 wood lathe with a PSI collet set, and am now the proud owner of a Grizzly mini lathe. Is there a way to mount the PSI collet on a Grizzly 7x12? I was hoping there was a way to adapt it and not get too much run out. I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

All you need to do is call PSI and get the correct adapter. It shouldn't give much runout provided the adapter is made with quality tolerances...

randyrls

In common with many 7x metal lathes, the Grizzly has a built in back plate. You will need a collet chuck designed to attach to a back plate. These are not common in the US, but more common on UK lathes.

LittleMachineShop has a chuck of this type as does Chronos in the UK.

Fatpen

No Luck

Called Grizzly, LMS, and PSI. There is no adapter to use a PSI collet chuck (1"x8tpi) to a Grizzly 7x12, not a 3 bolt back plate or a MT3. I bought this PSI collet chuck system thinking since it was an ER32 that it was a standard that would fit a metal lathe as well. Guess not. Saw a thread where Texatdurango was looking for something similar in 2007. Nothing has changed since then I guess. My first project may have to be making my own.

randyrls

I found a ER32 MT3 1/2-13 Collet Chuck Holder CNC Millling-US on Ebay, will this work in the lathe ?. I don't have a clue. I don't understand what the 1/2-13 means. I think it has to do with a draw bar but will it work with the lathe and PSI collets?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ER32-MT3-1-...m&pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item19b7945acb

George; ER32 spec collets are a standard specification. If the PSI chuck is a true ER32 chuck ANY ER32 collets will fit it. MT3 is the taper on the shank of the chuck. It will fit into the taper nose on your lathe. 1/2-13TPI is a standard Imperial thread for a draw-bar. You can make a draw-bar easily from a piece of threaded rod and nuts with washers. You need the draw-bar to keep the chuck from coming loose.

The downside is the chuck doesn't have a through hole and the drawbar blocks the hole in the headstock so you cannot have stock running inside the headstock. You are limited to about 2" or maybe a little more of depth in the chuck. Don't know if this will impact the way you use the chuck.

I don't know if the PSI chuck has a through hole in it or not; I have a Beall chuck and it screws on the nose threads and lets you run stock inside the headstock. This is common usage on metal lathes.

Chronos (UK) and LMS make back plate chucks like this one, but stand by for sticker shock.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2532&category=-421559299

Fatpen

Thanks Randy

Thanks for helping me understand my options. I was thinking about an adapter that provided a 1" x 8 TPI, this would let me screw on the PSI collet holder, just like the wood lathe, and it would allow stock to pass through like the Beall. That kind of adapter is not available. The one from LMS is the way to go, but at $200, more than I can justify.

ldb2000

This is what you are looking for . There are no adapters made for your chuck to the metal lathe so you need a new MT3 chuck or an expensive direct bolt on chuck assembly . You will need to get or fabricate a draw bar for this but you will be able to use your ER32 collets with it . http://cgi.ebay.com/ER32-MT3-3-8-CO...m&pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item19bd834a9d
It will limit the usefulness of the collets due to the depth but will allow you to use them affordably .

Oh , and you might be able to use the knurled clamping ring from the PSI collet chuck . The one I bought was able to use it but I don't know about this one .

Last edited:

Daniel

I went the MT route for my collet chuck and the non through hole so far has not been an issue when it comes to making pens. Littlemachimeshop.com does have the face plate adaptors. This keeps the through hole if you really need it. The draw bar is as simple as a 5/8 inch bolt and a couple of washers. I think it was a 5/8 inch. The tricky part if it can be called that is getting the right length of bolt. Other than that my chuck pretty much lives on my mini metal lathe. so make sure you do what will really suit you. If you are like me it will be money well spent.

ldb2000

I went the MT route for my collet chuck and the non through hole so far has not been an issue when it comes to making pens. Littlemachimeshop.com does have the face plate adaptors. This keeps the through hole if you really need it. The draw bar is as simple as a 5/8 inch bolt and a couple of washers. I think it was a 5/8 inch. The tricky part if it can be called that is getting the right length of bolt. Other than that my chuck pretty much lives on my mini metal lathe. so make sure you do what will really suit you. If you are like me it will be money well spent.

The most common size draw bolt is 3/8"X16 tpi . A piece of all-thread and some washers and a wing nut is the easiest way to make a draw bolt and has the advantage of not being critical to length . Just cut the all-thread a little longer then your spindle length and thread on the wing nut .
The depth won't be a problem if you are just using it to hold a closed end mandrel or a short piece of material but if you are going to do any kitless work or serious work holding it will be a problem , you will have to watch the length you cut your materials to so you dont have too much overhang and you will waste allot of materials this way .

Last edited:
Top Bottom