Griz G4000 Short out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Well I was doing some rounding and my G4000 let out some of its smoke. Not all because the lathe continued to run but some. I took the cover off the plate on the motor and this is what I found.
...bad pic but you get the idea.
2013-06-18+18.00.19.jpg

I documented the wires and pulled it out. Looks like the top center melted off and dropped onto the bottom center creating the short. I have the manual open now to get to the wiring schematic. The part looks like I can pick it up at radio shack but my concern is not this easy fix but what caused it.

-1UNPm3LUsWqQSvB1XNRRdq89Z8tzv7i09mRghVTyok=w306-h228-p-no

Anyone ever experience this? When the smoke released the motor continued to run and the switch did power it off so I am guessing Capacitor but we will see. I hope it is not the Cap because when the Cap goes it typically takes the motor. If that is the case I have been wanting a DC upgrade. This may be the reason to do it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

teamtexas

Chris, my guess is the melt down was due to a loose connection that overheated. I have a griz metal lathe with a similar connection. I haven't had it fail however I have been through about 3 motors (under warrenty) and 1 start capacitor. I recently found one of the problems. The motor start capacitor is disconnected when a centrifugal switch inside the fan end of the motor opens. This (cheap) switch will weld itself together and cause the start capacitor to blow. If you hear your motor sound very loud when you start it, shut it off quick. I was able to save mine the last time this happened. You can open the end of the motor, pry the contact apart and sand it lightly to repair.
Good Luck
Dan

Justturnin

Thanks for the great info guys. I was not successful in my attempt to source the part locally. I called Grizz this morning and got confirmation about what I thought, this is just a fancy wirenut. He said it would be just as safe to wirenut the connections and then I would not have to worry about them coming loose. Off to the Hardware store to get some small wirenuts, all I have are the larger yellow and red.

thrustmonkey

Wipe the soot and stuff off the wires first. Put the wire nuts on. And then to be a little redundant, and to keep the dust out, wrap a little electrical tape around the bottom of the wire nuts onto the wires to kind of seal them, and make sure the wire nuts stay on. I've done this ever since I saw a co-worker get hurt in a plasma explosion caused by dust getting ignited by a loose wire arcing.

Better safe that hurt like hell.
Ross

Janster

I had the same experience. I wired around it, called suppoort and they sent a replacement block! Occaisionaly, just go back and check the connections to be sure they are still snugged up! Good luck........Jan

ctubbs

Wipe the soot and stuff off the wires first. Put the wire nuts on. And then to be a little redundant, and to keep the dust out, wrap a little electrical tape around the bottom of the wire nuts onto the wires to kind of seal them, and make sure the wire nuts stay on. I've done this ever since I saw a co-worker get hurt in a plasma explosion caused by dust getting ignited by a loose wire arcing.

Ross

Great advice. one small addition, when you finish applying the tape, pull the end of the tape over the top of the wire nut when you break the tape. This will make it so much easier to fine the end when you need to remove the wire nut down the road.

Charles

Justturnin

Ross

These actually had forks crimped on so I had to cut them off and expose fresh copper. I tightened the heck out of the nuts and it has a rubber gasket to keep dust out of this box. I just finished and closed it up. I didn't tape because of the gasket on the box.

Great advice. one small addition, when you finish applying the tape, pull the end of the tape over the top of the wire nut when you break the tape. This will make it so much easier to fine the end when you need to remove the wire nut down the road.

Charles

yep, when I worked as an electrician in the chemical plants we called this a "courtesy tail" and cursed the man that did not leave us one.

Top Bottom