Grinder Wheel wobble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rglinks

I bought an 8" crafsman bench grinder about a year ago and just put it into use because I just got a oneway sharpening system. I installed a 120 grit (pink) on and I get some wheel wobble. Seems like any wheel that I install I get wheel wobble. Is there any fix for this.

Thanks ahead of time
Ron G

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There should be a round flange on the shaft of the grinder. On your model I don't know if it is loose like a washer or fixed to the shaft. Take the wheel off and turn the shaft by hand and see if that flange, it will be about 2" in diameter, is not square to the shaft. If you turn the shaft and you detect a wobble on the periphery of that flange then you have found the problem. Your shaft could be bent. And there could be some foreign object holding the flange **** eyed.

I am talking about the flange between the wheel and the motor, not the one that you put on before you put the shaft nut on.

esheffield

If it's a problem with all wheels I would suspect something with the grinder as has been pointed out. But I had one of the pink wheels from Woodcraft on my old 6" grinder a while back and it shook like crazy at first. I used a dressing tool on it a little bit and got rid of almost all the vibration. I have the Woodcraft 2 speed 8" grinder now - no problems so far with the stock wheels on it.

Rifleman1776

Some new wheels are defective. Either not flat or out of round or non-concentric. Woodcraft reports a fairly high defective/rate and will exchange if you feel the wheel is the problem. But you state the problem exists with other wheels too. I suspect your motor or it's mandrel. Check everything. The balancing kits might work. But my opinion is, if the motor and wheel are OK you shouldn't need to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom