grinder & sharpening system recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Would an 8 inch grinder be the best to get for tool sharpening? Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper one?
Also what sharpening system are you guys using/ do you recommend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

The larger the wheel the better it is for your tools. Reason is there is less radius on your flat sections. Probably not noticable to the naked eye but there is a radius to your grind. The larger, the flatter it is across the grind.

The drawback with larger wheels is that they travel faster at the edge for the same speed. This faster speed causes more heat which over time is damaging to your hardened steel. That is why many have gone to slow speed grinders.

I have the wolverine system. I don't think I would want any other IMO.

Just my $.02

Daniel

I use the wolverine system with an 8 inch grinder. I recommend it but not as if it is the only good system available.
I also have a wet wheel grinder and used to have a 6" bench grinder. I also had a sharpening machine which used 8" and 4" wheels. the 4" wheel was used when it woudl not introduce the hollow grind it would create. any grinding that was done in such a way that the hollow grinding would come into play was done on the 8" wheel. IT was also what I learned from owning that machine that caused me to go with an 8" grinder for my turning tools. saying that a tool sharpened on a 6" wheel is really no different than a tool sharpened on an 8" wheel is a little bit like saying a size 5 ring is just fine for someone that really wears a size 6. Sure you may be able to get the ring to fit, but it is not the same. Many people say that the hollow created by a 6" wheel is not that much more than that created by an 8"wheel. in truth "that much" is a matter of opinion. What is considered a little or a lot of hollow grind? In truth you woudl need to grind a tool on a 6" and 8" wheel and see for yourself if it makes any difference. otherwise the standard is to not sharpen tools with anything smaller than an 8" wheel if it will create a hollow grind. where you intend to create a greater hollow of course would be an exception to that.

KenBrasier

I find that I get a better edge and more control using my belt sander than with my 8" grinder. Then I finish it with a buffing wheel and rouge. Key is keeping the tool cool.
icon10.gif

glycerine

I use the wolverine system with an 8 inch grinder. I recommend it but not as if it is the only good system available.
I also have a wet wheel grinder and used to have a 6" bench grinder. I also had a sharpening machine which used 8" and 4" wheels. the 4" wheel was used when it woudl not introduce the hollow grind it would create. any grinding that was done in such a way that the hollow grinding would come into play was done on the 8" wheel. IT was also what I learned from owning that machine that caused me to go with an 8" grinder for my turning tools. saying that a tool sharpened on a 6" wheel is really no different than a tool sharpened on an 8" wheel is a little bit like saying a size 5 ring is just fine for someone that really wears a size 6. Sure you may be able to get the ring to fit, but it is not the same. Many people say that the hollow created by a 6" wheel is not that much more than that created by an 8"wheel. in truth "that much" is a matter of opinion. What is considered a little or a lot of hollow grind? In truth you woudl need to grind a tool on a 6" and 8" wheel and see for yourself if it makes any difference. otherwise the standard is to not sharpen tools with anything smaller than an 8" wheel if it will create a hollow grind. where you intend to create a greater hollow of course would be an exception to that.

How exactly would you NOT create a hollow grind when using a wheel. If the tool is sharpened more at a sideways angle?
Also, aside from size, are there any brand recommendations on grinders. Or at least any that I should stay away from. I know Ryobi has an 8 inch for about $65 at HD, any reason I shouldn't get one?

glycerine

I find that I get a better edge and more control using my belt sander than with my 8" grinder. Then I finish it with a buffing wheel and rouge. Key is keeping the tool cool.
icon10.gif

Seriously? What grit do you use? And how do you set up the sharpening jigs, or do you just freehand it?

KenBrasier

Seriously? What grit do you use? And how do you set up the sharpening jigs, or do you just freehand it?

It's a 6 x 48 belt/disk sander, I typically use a 180 or 240 grit belt. I sharpen using the table for position, but it is freehand. I've got a 400 grit belt that works great when I take the time to change it out. Most of my sharpening is done by dressing with a diamond stone/file the lightly hone on the buffer. It may be unorthodox, but it works for me and I keep the chisels sharp.

stolicky

I purchased the slow speed grinder from WoodCraft. Unsure the brand but if you search WC site for it you will find it. It is the only one they carry, I believe.

This is probably the best value for sharpening you will find. It typically goes on sale for ~90 or so, so keep an eye out for it. The wheels are decent.

I have it, and a Delta 8" VS grinder, and think the WC is better made.

I also use the wolverine jigs. I gave up on the PSI version jigs....

mickr

Just to be different..I gave up on grinding wheels years ago..THEY EAT STEEL..turning tools at 50.00 a pop are expensive to feed to a grinder...I use the Tormek and in the end I have saved $...if you do get a "cheap" grinder, outfit it with GOOD wheels (nortons are good) that are for sharpening turning tools NOT lawn mower blades

Top Bottom