Greetings from Virginia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaibab

I have been turning pens for about a year now. I have had some successes and many learning experiences. I have been following the IAP website for sometime and have learned alot and realize I have alot to learn.

I would ask if anyone out there has tried either the Worksharp 2000 or 3000 to sharpen their turning tools? Any feedback would be appreciated.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimofsanston

Fellow Richmonder.

Yes i use the 2000. Works for me. I also have a grinder but i am looking for at the grinder setup at Woodcrafters. Come join us at the Richmond pen crafters chapter of IAP at the Woodcrafters shop on the 2nd Thursday of every month. We are not having one this month due to room is not available.

Kaibab

I am looking at the slow speed grinder and wolverine jig at Woodcraft as well. I can't decide between the traditonal grinder method for sharpening or the Worksharp.

John

turkey-slayer

Welcome to IAP! I have the Delta slow speed grinder that I paid about 70.00 for at Lowe's and also use the Wolverine Jig to sharpen my turning tools. It seems to do a fairly good job if I touch them up on a regular basis.

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
John, Welcome! And to second Jim, the Richmond Pen Crafters meet at Woodcraft every 2nd Thursday- stop by next meeting (December 10 7pm)

Questions about the club? richmondpencrafters@gmail.com

As for sharpening, I'm looking for a traditional bench grinder to go with my Tormek. I love my Tormek, but if you want to change the shape of your tool- be prepared to take a couple of days (or it sure seems like it) when shaping on the Tormek.

-Doug

Druid

Hi John & fellow Virginian.

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of great folks & information here. I used a Wolverine Jig for years and it definately served me well. I recently made the mistake :rolleyes: of going to a Sorby tool demonstration and fell in love with the ProEdge Sharpening System. Expensive system but delivers consistant wicked sharp results every time.

hilltopper46

Welcome to the site, from Wisconsin.

I have both the WS3000 and the Wolverine setup on a no-name slow speed grinder. I would get the Wolverine set-up first if i had it to do over again. The WS3000 still is my choice for sharpening skews, though.

Kaibab

I was looking on the internet one day and came across the Sorby ProEdge sharpening system that you mentioned. It was love at first sight until I saw the price. I heard a quote one time that said "I can't afford to buy cheap tools". The Sorby isn't cheap but it looks worth it! Christmas is coming...maybe if I am good.

John

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome John,

I also have the 2000. I like I wish I had a wolverine set up also.

Some more help: Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. While confusing to new turners, it sure helps abbreviate a lot of repetitive typing.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf
Above Link Corrected!

Last edited:
Top Bottom