Greetings from The Ocean State

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cainmycoffee

Hello to all! I'm Carl from Rhode Island.

I'm going to be brand new to turning, and to woodworking in general.

I've watched and re-watched the Youtube. I've bought what I think are adequate tools (and bought probably a bunch of tools I don't need with all that money I don't have). All I need to do now is overcome this fear of failing (and of losing digits) and go GET STARTED :eek:

I'll post pics of my projects as I (if I) complete them. Feel free to point and laugh! (or offer constructive criticism if you're into that).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Welcome fron the Land of Ten Thousard Lakes.......Minnesota

Carl, first be safe. Second enjoy the hobby. Remember that we learn by failing just as much as when we succeed.

Last, always wear that safety shield. Think Safety First.

Tom T

Welcome from Sunny Florida. There is lots of ocean here also. I wonder if they are connected. This is a great sight full of good helpful people. I have some of those tools also. But I love buying tools.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas

That's exactly how I started - watched a few videos then went out & bought a lathe, some turning tools & a penturning starter kit. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but quickly got over that after making a pen or two. Just observe good safety practices - safety glasses or better yet, a face shield are a must as far as I'm concerned.

Have fun!

Donna

Hi Carl,
Why don't you look into the local turning club... Ocean Woodturners. Nice group of people. I grew up in Bristol.
-Donna

cainmycoffee

Thanks Donna!

The guy I purchased my lathe from also suggested looking into Ocean Woodturners. Once I get a little turning under my belt, I think I'll do just that.

Ah, Westport... I think I need to head out that way soon. I haven't been along Horseneck for at least a couple years. Maybe once the summer crowd falls off.

Maybe I'll find me a driftwood blank out there!:RockOn:

Top Bottom