Greetings from So. CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

Greetings from a new member in sunny So. California. I've been into woodworking all my life, and always wanted to try pens. On a whim, I bought a cheapie HF variable speed mini lathe at a big sale for about $100, and it was all downhill from there!

After spending about 3x the lathe cost on tools/supplies, I stumbled upon this forum. Darn, I wish I'd done in a different order! The little HF lathe is working well with a new 60 deg live center and a PSI pen jaw/drill chuck for drilling. I'm sure I'll be upgrading soon since I've always had a fetish for really good woodworking tools.

So far I've turned 6 pens with good results from all the tips I've found here. I've done wood and acrylics, tried the skew, but settled on a couple of nifty Easy Wood Worker carbide tools. I've messed a few up, broken a few acrylic blanks, but learned a lot. This is a sickness, I'm sneaking out to my shop whenever possible to drill/glue-up the next blank. Thanks for all the valuable help found on this site!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

Welcome from down the 15 a little bit! There is a wealth of information in the library here and folks are good to answer questions.

Brian Frank

Welcome aboard Chris. Your right about turning pens being a sickness. I enjoy turning along with building the blanks. My mind seems to always be on how to put together the next blank and what it's going to look like once turned. Some have turned out fantastic and some so so. Have to remember how to repeat the good ones. But then maybe they shouldn't be repeated making them one of a kind.

Top Bottom