Greetings from Austin Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

Hello Everyone,

I've done jewelry and light metalworking for several years now, my father's done woodworking for years. I recently moved from Oregon back to Texas near my parents to help them out and in exchange I've gotten the use of his woodshop. I've begun my own sojourn into pen turning among other things. I recently purchased my own lathe and tho a number of pens have gone before it, pictured here is the first produced from my new playtoy. A Titanium Premium Cigar from woodcraft made of a Maple Burl and a Manzanita Root both purchased from a place in California on one of my visits back and forth. The two halves are the last of some blank mismatches made after some bowls where produced from the larger pieces. I couldn't make a whole pen out of either one or the other. I apologize for the photo BTW, my little photo tent kit has gone AWOL in the move so I just set up a white cardboard box and remote flash.

Thanks all for looking, see ya around:)

Attachments

• Cigar.jpg
    Cigar.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California. Glad to have you here. That's a really nice looking pen! I've had a piece of manzanita I just don't have the heart to cut into blanks. Now your pen may have tipped the load.

This link is - a PDF document on the acronyms used here on the IAP site. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

MatthewZS

I had 4 or 5 roots that became big bowls, but I couldn't bear to throw away the scraps so they became a couple of pens.... This one being the last little bit. The way I see it, I can make a bowl or candlestick and look at it off and on, OR I can make a pen to carry around and admire this gorgeous wood ANYTIME I like:)

And thanks all for the warm welcomes!

Top Bottom