Green/Gold segment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

I really enjoy making segmented pens and now find myself staring at my blanks wondering which blanks would make nice combinations. I thought green and gold would look well together so here is the result...

Green and gold dyed box elder burl on a Jr Gent chassis, finished in CA.

200782735617_greengoldsegment.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by myname1960
<br />Very very nice
I really need to learn how to segment like this
There are probably dozens of tutorials online about segment work but most are knots and wedge designs. I haven't seen any that deal with this shape. Tomorrow I'm making the negative to this pen, gold ends and center with green outer segments. I'll take a few photos as I go along and make a few notes so you can see how easy it is.

George

gerryr

I certainly can't fault the workmanship and the color combination is nice, but there's something about how it looks around the centerband just doesn't seem right. The green looks too wide even though it's broken up by the CB. I think it would look better with a much narrower CB.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />... The green looks too wide even though it's broken up by the CB. I think it would look better with a much narrower CB.
Right now, on both the top and bottom barrels, the end green segments are .4" wide so the center is indeed .8 worth of green broken up by the centerband.

Are you saying make the end segments around .25" instead and make the gold segments longer?

On Edit: One reason I chose the .4" width was to show off some of the burl of the green, thinking that too thin a segment wouldn't do anything but show bland green. Thanks, you got me thinking though, what do you other guys/gals think, thinner end bands on the next pen?

doddman70

First I have to say that is one beautiful pen !!!!!
Very well done, your work is quickly becoming an inspiration to me. As far as making the end segments smaller, I don't think that is needed. I agree with you the thickness is needed to see the burl pattern in the green. I think you nailed it.
Again nicely done!![:D][:D]

Shane

Texatdurango

Originally posted by neon007
<br />... What is the black material breaking up the green and gold???...
Woodcraft carries lots of veneer sheets...http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4978

This particular black came from the assorted color pack "dyed woods", so be forewarned, as thrifty as I am, not wanting to waste anything, be on the lookout for some future segments using blue, green, yellow and red veneers! [:D]

GaryMGg

Gorgeous pen. That's three you've shown with similar segmentation to this. Very nice.
Gerry, does eliminating the 2 CB pcs. require any changes when making the pen other than just leaving them off?
Guess I'll have to experiment and see.

gerryr

No changes to the pen are required if you leave the 2 loose rings off the CB. I have a huge stash of extra rings from Barons because I never use them anymore.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />George,
The CB consists of three pieces. I'm suggesting eliminating the two loose rings, one black and one gold.
I gotcha but I just took a close look at the centerband on this kit and I think it's one piece. I have other kits where the bands are two or three seperate little rings but not this one.

A close inspection showed that the centerband rings are already assembled and not meant to be removed and I don't want to take a chance on ruining one experimenting with an exacto knife. Have you ever had any luck with removing the bands from this kit?

On edit: I just read your post above this one where you mentioned Barons. This is a CSUSA Jr Gentleman kit and they look similar to the Baron, and that may explain the difference.

gerryr

The Jr. Gent CB is a pre-assembled 3 piece arrangement. You can press the black and gold ring off, but you need to make a jig to do it, basically a hole in a piece of wood barely big enough to accept the CB, but small enough to catch the black ring. You can also do the same thing with the Jr. Statesman and RonMc has done this and posted a pen with a custom ring several months ago.

GoodTurns

Beautiful pen, made me think of stained glass. Sorry if I missed in an earlier post, but what did you use for the black separating material?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by GoodTurns
<br />Beautiful pen, made me think of stained glass. Sorry if I missed in an earlier post, but what did you use for the black separating material?
Jon, I used black veneer from a multi-color pack from Woodcraft. Look on page one of this thread, I put the link to the Woodcraft web site showing the veneer.

Stained glass....... that got some gears going in the "idea" section of my little brain. Several years ago I got interested in learning stained glass as a way of complimenting some custom pieces I was making. Sadly, it took back seat to other hobbies and now all my supplies just sit somewhere in storage. I think I'll go dig them out and have some fun... who wants to make pens all day anyway?[:)]

George

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
George, this one is as good as the previous similar ones. All are VERY accurately made, thats for sure.
I think I see what Gerry means, but if I had to make any change it would simply be to add the dark veneer between the gold metal and the green wood. All 4 places. I can handle the segments ok, but what I would like to know is how you manage to drill perfectly for the tube. With a design like that, if the drill was even a fraction out, it would really spoil the effect. Very impressive[:D]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />George, this one is as good as the previous similar ones. All are VERY accurately made, thats for sure.
I think I see what Gerry means, but if I had to make any change it would simply be to add the dark veneer between the gold metal and the green wood. All 4 places. I can handle the segments ok, but what I would like to know is how you manage to drill perfectly for the tube. With a design like that, if the drill was even a fraction out, it would really spoil the effect. Very impressive[:D]
Now THAT sounds like an idea..... I'm constructing a blue/gold pen today and think I might just add some black bands on the ends, we'll see how it turns out.

As far as the drilling, you're right, a hair off and the lines won't be parallel or will be lopsided. DAMHIKT [:(] After the blank is finished, I turn it round then stick it in my Beall collet chuck for drilling on the lathe.

I've never had more accurate holes and a side benefit is the collet holds a large portion of the segmented blank while drilling, thus eliminating any possibility of the drill bit shattering the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom