Great Eggspectations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Turned the hickory egg stand at a wood turning open shop, then carved the holes in the goose egg the next day. I still have some work to do on the egg stand, I'll extend the egg carving pattern on to it and apply some finish.

Attachments

• Goose Egg 01.jpg
    Goose Egg 01.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 828
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crickett

That looks incredible!!! You must be using some sort of rotary tool to carve the egg?
I took some classes earlier this year using a turbo carver ... lots of fun!!

Keep up the good work.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone,

Areaman, the carving actually took less time than turning the stand! With the right tools, you can carve an egg almost as fast as drawing. I probably spent as much time drawing the layout lines, then cleaning them off later as I spent carving.

Marla, I did use a microturbine rotary tool similar to the Turbo Carver, I use an NSK Presto.

This was my first ever attempt to carve an egg, it was an interesting experience. Using a microturbine rotatary tool like my NSK Presto or Marla's Turbo Carver on wood, leaves char on the cuts. You are using a 1/16" shank carbide dental burr at 320,000 to 400,000 RPM, at that speed the burr burns the wood.

The egg shell is non-flamable, and quite thin compared to what my turning abilities can produce, I suspect that even Binh Pho would struggle to turn as thin as a goose egg. There was an odd, but not real bad, smell durning the carving that stuck to my hands for hours. I wore a dust mask during the carving, but probably should have cranked my desktop HEPA air cleaner up to max before starting. There was no char on the cuts, and because the shell is so thin, it cuts really fast.

All the pieces fall into the egg durning carving and you have to carefully shake them out later. The carving generated a lot of dust, but I did my carving over a piece of hardboard so cleanup was easy, just dump the chips and dust in the trash. I probably should have dumped the chips and dust in the garden!

It took me a while to figure out how to clean off the layout lines when I was done. I tried sand paper starting at 1500 grit and working backwards to 400 which did an OK job, but still left some faint lines. I then switched to bleach and a Q-tip which did the trick. A quick rinse under the faucet and some gental pat down with a paper towel and it was ready for photo time.

After hearing all sorts of guidance to turn as thin as an egg for this sort of carving, I decided that low cost outsourcing was in order, and retained the services of geese. They are not very fast, but they do a good job, and will work for chicken feed!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
rjwolf3 - Well it is an egg which is somewhat fragile to begin with and the carving probably weakened it, but it was sturdy enough to hold up to light sanding to try and remove the layout lines.

PaulDoug - I plan to add painting in some future project. I picked up some Kistka and expect to try some Pysanky inspired techniques. I will probably try airbrushing the dyes rather than dipping so I can control the inside color which would be visible through the carving.

Top Bottom