Great Deal on Rikon 70-220VSR Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I had emailed Rikon Customer Service (they're in Billerica, MA) last week to ask if they were going to have any company sponsored sales on this lathe. They gave me the name of a place in Charlestown, NH, which is about a 2 hour drive for me from VT, so I went down there yesterday and brought one home.

Turns out this place (Dan's Max Saver) bought 22 of these from the factory that needed the speed control replaced. Brand new units, apparently Rikon had some faulty speed controls. They supplied this place with replacement controls, and this place has been opening up the boxes, replacing the speed controls, testing the units and selling them. They come with the full 5 year Rikon warranty.

Bottom line - $ 429.99. And no sales tax in NH. Well worth the 2 hour drive.

If anybody wants I can give you the owner's contact information. You walk in the place, and from the front it looks like a liquidation store dealing in a lot of low-end household stuff, but you walk in the back and it's all tools - hand, power, stationary.

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

Wow, nice score! Cool that Rikon would give you that lead too! I love my Rikon 70-100, and a VS will be the next addition, but CA is wayyyyy to far away!

vtgaryw

A little update on my "refurbed" Rikon 70 - 220 VSR. The speed control started getting wonky on me. First the speeds would randomly change (always slower) after the lathe was running for awhile. Then, the speed indicator would randomly show low, single digit numbers no matter the speed. I called Rikon, and they immediately sent me a new control box to install. Ironically, the store I bought the lathe from had supposedly already swapped the speed control out, which was why I got the lathe for such a great price, even though it was brand new with the 5 year warranty.

So who know what really happened, hopefully this new control box will fix the problem for good.

-gary

lhowell

Great deal! I got this lathe December 2014 and have loved it! I built the lathe stand off of some plans I ordered form either Wood Magazine or Popular Woodworking but used a standard 48x24 top I bought from the big blue box store. Luckily I have not had issues with the speed control but the pulley drive came loose and I had to retighten and realign with the bottom drive. Other than that I am very happy with this lathe! Great buy!

Attachments

• Lathe and Stand.jpg
    Lathe and Stand.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 176
Top Bottom