Grandson's first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from L32

Status
Not open for further replies.

L32

My Grandson Dylan has wanted to turn a pen since he first saw me do it, but I told him he had to wait till he was 5 years old.
Well yesterday was his 5th birthday so today he told me he was 5 and could he make a pen now?
We went out and he chose a slimline out of tulip wood. and to my surprise he did not do to bad. Sorry about the photo of the pen he rushed me to get it on before his bed time:D
He did 40% of the turning, 90% of the sanding and he put on the TSW.

Thanks for looking he very proud of the pen AND I am very proud of him! [8D]

P.S. He wants to know what you all think of it![:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I agree with Lou, it looks a LOT better than Lou's first pen! [:D] And Lou's first pen looked a LOT better than my first, so he did great! That big smile on his face is well earned - that's a pen that I'd be proud to own too!

Ron Mc

What a wonderful feeling that had to be for you! Please think safety glasses.[;)]

alamocdc

He did good, and so did you, Bob! I'd be doing the same with my grandson's if they were close enough. The only thing that bothered me about this was mentioned by the two Rons... safety glasses! I had to learn this the hardway when I was about 21. No permanent damage, but I wore an eye patch for two weeks.

Johnathan

Great Job Bob and Dylan!

Bob, this is the best time for you to engrain in Dylans brain the importance of safety. These wonderful memories now will be with him forever. When he's older he will tell his kids about the times he made pens with grandpa! Get those safety glasses and we all can't wait to see more pens from Dylan[:)]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by L32
<br />Thanks for mentioning glasses he had on mine but they kept falling off I will be getting him his own pair very soon,

How bout a full face shield? They are easier to fit than glasses, give more protection and can be found at most big box stores for a few bucks.

My son wore safety glasses and took a shot to the cheek when a blank let go. Now he's afraid to turn.....It's going to be a long slow journey for him to get his confidence back [B)]

Dylan, we are VERY proud of you! I think that learning this so young that by the time you are 20 you will be a master turner! This is a great thing to have for a hobby or for a business. Your grandpa has done a good thing for you, keep up the good work!
Grandpa, we are VERY proud of you too for getting this boy off to a wonderful start to what could be a lifelong hobby or more! May God bless you both.

Ligget

That is FANTASTIC!![:0] I love the conscentration on his cute face when turning then the SO PROUD look![^]
The pen looks brilliant especially for a youngsters first, lets hope it will be the first of many.[:D]

Randy_

Very nice pen, Dylan!! You did an excellent job!!

I made my very first pen on a lathe exactly like the one you used and it was a slimline, too. Made it out of a local wood from Texas.....mesquite. I was just a little older when I made my first pen.....probably about the same age as your Grandpa. Wish I had someone show me how to do it when I was 5.

BTW..........HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom