Gothica help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bloodhound

Hey guys and gals. So, this is the second time ive tried to make this Gothica pen from PSI. Heres the story.

First try.... I made a scalloped blank for the first time. Glued it up and turned it. While pressing the cap nut in. The segments came apart. So, i turned it off and started over. Remade the blank. tried to put it together. and when pressing the mechanism into the cap nut. The mechanism separated. I assume because i used the tube twice and maybe it was too short.

I called psi the sent out a new tube and mechanism.

Second try...Remade same blank with scallops. Sanded and polished. Pressed the cap nut in. And pressed the mechanism in. It left about a 32nd gap. Hmmm i press it again. Trying to get rid of the gap at the nib end. ANNNNND...The mechanism breaks again.

So, at a loss. I start reading instructions again. It shows on the instructions. That the barrel is supposed to be 3.310 inches long. I measure my blank. Its 3.275 inches. Now I cant use the end mill to square off the blank. So, i sanded the ends to square. THERE IS NO WAY i sanded off .030 off of the barrel. That is a lot of sanding.

And ideas? Has anyone else had issues with this pen? Ill try to post pics.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bloodhound

here it is.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 196
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 179
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 153

plantman

Yes, I had the same problem !!!! Found after measuring tube that it was cut short. PSI sent me correct tube and a new blank. Jim S

bloodhound

Well that sucks. But at least now I know it wasn't just me. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll call psi as soon as they open.

vakmere

PSI will have short tubes on some kits for one reason or another. I had a Longwood with tubes shorter than the instructions said. Having a micrometer handy is a big help. I had to compensate for the 1/8" total shortness when assembling the parts, had to cut the comfort grip down to the first rib because it was supposed to be 1", instead the tube was about 1/16" short also. It would be nice to have a trouble free turn and assembly but sometimes this is not the case.
My Knurl kits had tubes too long where the refill just stuck out of the tip. I squared off the tube and blanks shorter on the following Knurl kits after that so there was proper extension of the refill.

bloodhound

Yeah I have aset or three of calipers but until now I have never had any issues. Or I hadn't had enough pens under my belt to know something was wrong. But you can bet your sweet bippy from here out I will be checking my parts.

Top Bottom