Got my Rikon 70-050

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Nice grab Don. Is this the lathe that was on sale? Who did you buy your index wheel through? Now let's see some pens n things turned on it.:biggrin:

moke

Don, I bought one of those myself. I am going to use it as a dedicated drilling station, to mentor a couple kids, and for buffing. I have a 46-460 that I use as my primary. I have to say it seems like a nice enough lathe, but it certainly is not of the quality that the Delta is. Mine is not coplanar without shimming the tailstock and the belts are not easy to change, you must have access to the rear of the lathe.

If anyone is considering this lathe, make sure you have no intentions of putting it against the wall. Changing speeds will require a standing on your head!!! With that all said, for 199 it seems to be a good score. My issue with it, was it was regularly 339.00. That was far too high.

Don, I noticed your table top you put yours on...that could be a twin to mine.
All in all, I think I would do it again, how about you?

DurocShark

Yeah, for $200 absolutely.

For $300+? No.

Mine is dialed in with no problems. I don't have it mounted near a wall so belts are easy for me. About the same as my old TCPro (actually easier since there's no knobs to unscrew to open the doors).

DurocShark

Oh, and that top was my first attempt at flattening a glue up with a No5 hand plane. It has become my lathe station. With the old Delta 46-700 it was the grinder stand and stuff surface. It's back to being the lathe stand now... :biggrin:

PenMan1

Dudes! A replacement 1/2 horse motor with shipping is +/- $150. So, for $49, you get a dedicated drill or buff station that all "standard" accessories fit.

If the "regular" Lathe gets the flu, you still have function until replacement parts arrive.

It cheaper than an insurance policy that does the same thing!

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks good Don. I have it's bigger brother. 70-100. It has an indexing head, but i'm definetly gonna check into the one you bought. I have made some mods so I can mount a laminate trimmer on mine for some stuff I do.

DurocShark

I bolted it down today. The minor vibration that it had is gone now. Very smooth.

Still haven't made anything. I was busy modding that table with holes for my chisels. A 1.25" bit was way too big for my little 18v B&D drill. So I cracked open the hammer drill (in non-hammer mode.. heh). Finally got to use it, and I've had it for over a year.

Polarys425

I've had the Rikon 70-050vs for almost a year now, with no problems. However, i'm just about to finish up my modification of installing a 2.5hp treadmill motor. More power and a speed range of 70-4000 rpm, without belt changes. One of the last things i need to do is add a switch so i can reverse the lathe if the need arises.

moke

Cindy--
I owned a 70-100 for about 2 weeks and sold it to a fellow that was learning how to turn. I really did like that lathe. It was well designed and had many features.

This lathe, with the exception of not being co-planar seems to be well made. I am happy with it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I was just expecting more what you have and somehow thought it was a VS...it is not. It really has a rather difficult belt change, not like yours at all. But again, for what I want it for 200.00 is a steal. At it's original 339.00, I would not even think twice about spending the extra and getting yours same model. That is all I meant... I have a good opinion of Rikon equipment.

Top Bottom