Got my big lathe on the floor, PHEW!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

It wasn't easy! Luckily, the steel fabricator down the street came to my aid with two forklifts to get the 10' skids out of the truck. Then we found that the lathe had been set in epoxy grout to set it level. I can't describe how much effort it took to break that off the bottom of the pedestals. Over 16,000 psi compressive strength compared to 2,500 psi concrete in your sidewalk. After all that, it's on the floor, ready to get leveled and wired. 16'6" overall length, estimated at 2,500 pounds. I know the main lathe weighs 1,600 pounds, guessing the bed extension is another 900 pounds. I'm just impressed with all that German cast iron goodness! It's a HAPFO AP 6000-es copy lathe.

Attachments

• hapforesized.jpg
    hapforesized.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 355
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

What a monster!!!! Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on turning that needs a bed than long?

Jim Smith

The whole idea of getting it was the price. I bought it on an Ebay auction for $800. Now I will figure out what to do with it. I plan a production run of french style rolling pins for my holiday shows, a few short Tuscan style pedestals to display my work at open art studio walks, then a visit to a church restoration company I used to do work for when I had a custom woodworking business. Shouldn't take too long to pay for it!

Top Bottom