Got an Arbor Press Finally!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jack1064

Ok So I buckled and got an arbor press after listening to all you guys talk about them, but now what I am wondering is how put the piece together? I guess what I wanna know is do most of you guys put the pieces together by free hand or is the bottom piece mounted on something? I also was hoping that of you turners out there that do use a press, would you be willing to post a picture of yours so I could see the set ups! I have dont my fair share of browsing on the forum, but I just figured it would be easiest to ask for some pictures!
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I don't really understand your question...my setup consists of an arbor press. Nothing fancy about it, except that I glued some thin corian to the press-mechanism so that it doesn't scratch my pens, and I don't usually use the bottom piece - again a thin corian piece takes its place...

Jack1064

Yea I didnt word it too well, but you answered my question, just wanted to really see if anyone had any fancy set ups!
Thanks

Rudy Vey

Yea I didnt word it too well, but you answered my question, just wanted to really see if anyone had any fancy set ups!
Thanks
The only fancy set-up I have is a piece of wood with some half-through holes drilled to protect the threads by pressing the pen parts together. I align the parts by hand and then press them in.

PaulDoug

This is my elaborate set up. I put it on the little stand so I would not have to bend over so far when putting a pen together.

Attachments

• mini-press 001.jpg
    mini-press 001.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 387

Jack1064

Thats what I wanted, keep the pictures coming! My whole shop is set up on pictures I have seen in this forum!

bkersten

This is my elaborate set up. I put it on the little stand so I would not have to bend over so far when putting a pen together.

Mine's the same as here but I CA'd a small bolt under the corian square along the edge, and put it in the same hole as the original swivel plate. I drilled various size holes in the corian for like the trany on a cartridge to go in when putting on the nib, and swivel the holes out of the way for a flat spot when setting the clip end on a blank. Sure is alot easier the quick grip clamps I started with, and the pressure down is straight.

Chris Bar

Picked one up at HF a few weeks back but have not used it yet, because it still seems a screw type vise would enable better control of insertion depth. A rather large vise would be necessary for the total open length during some assembly steps. Anyway, since its still on the floor, no pics.

PenPal

Arbor Press

Built a steel post with a laminated top to house my arbor press at my eye height so I swivel around to press my pens.
I removed the base and fitted an aluminium block with a thin Corian plate top and bottom.

Attachments

• DSCF0005 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0005 [640x480].JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 303

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Built a steel post with a laminated top to house my arbor press at my eye height so I swivel around to press my pens.
I removed the base and fitted an aluminium block with a thin Corian plate top and bottom.

Finding the arbor press is like a "Where's Waldo?" pix! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PenPal

The Press

Hi Cav as an activities manager the overall shot was location, this is where the final action takes place.

This shows the anvil and operating arm Corian fitted top and bottom. This one ton press is typical quality mass production, I found the arm turned upside down was square, re machined the swivel to make it accurate, bushed a sleeve, has worked really well for many years now. With this size press to give maximum press space the anvil is flush with the base and 3/16 Corian used to minimise.

Have success. Peter.

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 031.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 031.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 177
Mine looks much like Peter's, except it's not on a block, I've wedged a block between the "toes" of the base with a laminate top on it to use for the longer pens, I also use the round plate for doing the individual pieces....

OH, and mine has much more dust on it than Peter's.... I clean my shop 2 or 3 times a year whether it needs it or not..

Top Bottom