Got a Problem, need Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

The last three European style pens I have made have a problem. I twist the top to extend the ink cartridge and that works fine, but I can keep on turning the top. It doesn't stop and it should. The transmission stops and sets as it should. I don't know why this started happening and I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

What causes it and what can I do to prevent it?

How do I fix the ones I have?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Sounds like the top is fitting too loosely for some reason. I'd take a pliers and put a small crimp in the transmission to make a tighter fit.

MobilMan

Does it do it when you retract the ink cartrige? Could be the upper tube has turned loose from the blank. DAMHIKT. Take another transmission & stick it part way inside the upper tube & turn the tube holding onto the trans tightly. That way you can see what's turning. If the tube is tight inside the blank, take a small amount of CA and 'paint' a small place on the upper side of the trans. & let it dry. That way the tube will grab it & hold.

Russianwolf

I don't see a problem.

The upper tube isn't fixed to the tranny in any way, it's just a friction fit. If you turn any of the tranny pens to extend the refill, you can continue to turn past the stop of the tranny. That's actually how I align the grain on my pens.

Now if it didn't have enough grip to extend/retract the refill, you'd have a problem.

PaulDoug

I don't see a problem.

The upper tube isn't fixed to the tranny in any way, it's just a friction fit. If you turn any of the tranny pens to extend the refill, you can continue to turn past the stop of the tranny. That's actually how I align the grain on my pens.

Now if it didn't have enough grip to extend/retract the refill, you'd have a problem.

There is part of the problem, the next time you turn the top you will un-align your grain. When I say it turns, it turns pretty easy, to align the grain should take a pretty hard turn, I think.

I tried a little CA but didn't "paint it on", I put a drop on let it dry but it popped off when I slid the top back on. I'll try again If that doesn't work, I'll try the pliers.

What causes this??

Russianwolf

what causes it?

1) not all tubes are created equal. The batch you have may have the inside diameter a thousandth larger than the ones you've done in the past.

2) when you glued the blank to the tube if you had to clean out the tube (got a little glue inside) you may have reamed it out slightly. It doesn't take much.

3) if you used a barrel trimmer, the pilot may have expanded slightly (especially if you get it hot) and reamed it out slightly.

4) the trannys in this batch may be slightly smaller than batches you've had before.

when you are talking about a thousandth of an inch, lots of things could be the cause.

test fit the tranny before glueing the tube in. If it's loose, use a nailset to dipple the tube so that it will grab the tranny better. I do this while it's on a custom slimline bushing, so I can't go too far or punch through. putting some glue in the tube will work too.

Top Bottom