Got a Beal Collect for Christmas now what???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

Girlfriend got me the collecty system. Now where do I get just the mandrels? I bought one from Woodcraft for like $3 but it looks pretty flimsy. I wanted to have at least three so i can do a couple of pens at a time. what do you folks recommend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Joe, the collets for the Beall system require mandrels that are not threaded on the headstock end. Beartoothwoods.com has both the A and B mandrels. They are the top two items on the page this link will take you to.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_42

sandking

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Joe, the collets for the Beall system require mandrels that are not threaded on the headstock end. Beartoothwoods.com has both the A and B mandrels. They are the top two items on the page this link will take you to.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_42

Thanks for the link. I'm new to this and not sure what the difference between A and B are. Right now I have done Slimline, Cigar, Jr. Statesman and Jr. Gentlemen pens. I think I have an A, is that rigt?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Joe,

You are right that what you have is an A mandrel. The B mandrel is used for some of the Berea kits like the Perfect Fit and the El Grande series. Unless you get into these kits, you have no need for the B mandrel. The A mandrel fits the 1/4" collet so you would be in business if you have a couple of mandrels like the ones on the link I posted, the Beall Collet Chuck and the 1/4" collet.

Have fun,

sandking

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />More complete madrels from WC.
The Beall is overkill

Sorry Eagle, can't compute.... What is WC? Beall maybe overkill but I got it as a gift and sure as heck ain't going to return it.

Dario

Originally posted by sandking
<br />
Sorry Eagle, can't compute.... What is WC? Beall maybe overkill but I got it as a gift and sure as heck ain't going to return it.

Joe,

I am guesing WoodCraft.

Like you, overkill or not...I plan on making the most out of the gift I got and very thankful for it. I know I still need to improve my fit and if it (Beal) will help me any, I welcome it. [^]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />More complete madrels from WC.
The Beall is overkill

IF a Beall Collet is the only way you can turn a concentric pen then you have more problems that a $130.00 mandrel holder will solve.
I use the Beall all the time and wouldn't be without it.
For halding a mandrel it is the last thing I reach for.
If fact it is so important to me I would not tie it up to do what a $9.99 mandrel from WoodCraft will do.
Please don't take this wrong but if you don't know what to get after you received and expensive tool like the Bell collet you really have a lot to learn before you can truly appreciate it.
I will get flamed for my remarks, but I shoot from the hip.

sandking

no flame thrower here. I have a thick skin and are used to your replies from the stuff I am acquiring!!![:D] I appreciate the fact that you still take the time to post. The pen turning isn't the only reason I asked for the beall collet. I mean how the heck could I turn a bottle stopper without one [:eek:)]. In my family we kind of put things on a Christmas list that we wouldn't necessarily buy for ourselves.

Good For You Joe!

I had looked at the Beall myself, a very nice mini collet chuck that has a lot of potential for lathe work and a wide variety of projects.

I bought the Axminster collet chuck a few years ago, I love it! I have used mine for many things...but never yet to turn a pen. I might give it a try though.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />no flame thrower here. I have a thick skin and are used to your replies from the stuff I am acquiring!!![:D] <b>I appreciate the fact that you still take the time to post. </b> The pen turning isn't the only reason I asked for the beall collet. I mean how the heck could I turn a bottle stopper without one [:eek:)]. In my family we kind of put things on a Christmas list that we wouldn't necessarily buy for ourselves.
What the heck is that supposed to mean?
I am still exploring this stuff.

sandking

I meant that even though you felt it was overkill if I was only using it for a mandrel holder I appreciate the fact that you still take the time to post a reply instead of just ignoring it.

Mikey

I use the cheap mandrel inserts from Berea, WC, and a few other places. I have tried them on multiple lathes and can't get anything to run straight and true. The expensive WC one won't work right no matter what. if going to a collet chuck like the Beall will help me, then it would be totally worth the $$.

The way I look at it, the old timers and others made due with less than modern stuff. That doesn't mean I have to. In fact, if I enjoy doing something less because of the aggrivation factor, how much am i saving?

sandking

I have two different mandrels now and for some reason it takes a couple of tries to get the morse taper to sit right. I'm hoping the beall will help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom