Gosh!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well, after taking forever to even find out how to do this....it might be my lifetime to reply to any messages! I have been reading and drooling in this site for about 3 months now. Just realizing how much more I have to learn about pen making. Been turning pens for about 5 years but kinda stuck on the pens that seem to sell well for the East coast folks and with their price range at the shows. I would love it if anyone lived close enough, to get together and turn some pens or show a trick or two. Seems everyone is always so far away. My other half makes furniture so there is always a hassle in the shop where his chair leg went.......oooopssss..... I will be posting a pen that I made as soon as he gets it out of the digital camera for me. I live in upstate NY along the Canadian border, about an hour from Montreal, and if anyone has heard of Syracuse-3 1/2 hours north of that. Thanks for all who post and show/tell their talents......now its secrets I want....:tongue: Cinder_LadyLocket

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

look in the local chapter forums to see if a chapter is near you. And welcome. There really is a nice spread of talent and information here. We all tend to leech info off of each other to get better and experiment more. :)

talbot

Let me be the first to welcome you Cinder, probably because half my day has gone already.
Lots of very helpful and talented people here as you'll soon find out.
Look forward to seeing some of your work,, and your husband's.
regards, Bill

JimB

Welcome Cinder. There are a few people in upstate NY. I'm near Rochester but I know there are some here from near Syracuse and Albany. Where are you located? It sounds like you must be near Massena or Malone.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Cinder. Hope we don't scare you away, but pen turning, beside being fun is a time consuming money eating habit. :biggrin:

Below is a link to a PDF file with a light/general overview of many steps, tools and methods that are available or possible in turning. There are a few small mistakes and bits of mis-informations there but overall it lays out the basics. After the Birthday Bash, I hope to improve it.

Hope this helps:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

dasimm

Welcome Cinder. Woodworking in general can be addictive & expensive... :rolleyes: Remember that practice makes permanent & learning from others is an excellent way to increase skills or in my case - makes me realize how much I have yet to learn.

Good luck to you.

- David
Colleyville, Texas

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WELCOMING ME!!! WOW!!! BIG HUGS TO EVERYONE THAT IS SO KIND OF YOU!!! I AM OVERWHELMED WITH THE ATTITUDE HERE. NOW I CAN'T STAY OFF THE SITE, ADDICTION IT HAS BECOME......DOUBLE THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU TOO CAUSE I KNOW YOUR A NOT AN ANGEL......WE ALL NEED ALITTLE LOVING HERE AND THERE....CINDER_LadyLocket

Tn-Steve

Hi Cinder,

I'm down in the wilds of Tennessee now, but was born and spent my formative years in Upstate NY, (Utica to be precise).

As you've figured, lots of great folks here, I'm new to turning, but have learned a huge amount, things that would have taken me years to figure out a few minutes on search gave me. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of your years of experience doing pens and adding it to my collection, and if I happen to say something that helps you out, well, sometimes I get lucky.

Welcome to the Asylum,

Steve

rlharding

Hi Cinder, as Bruce mentioned a couple of pages back, there is a wealth of information in the library. As well as general topics there are some excellent 'how -to's'. I am assuming you are also aware of the magazines Woodturning Design and Woodturning the latter from the UK. They often have pen turning articles.

Great to see another woman on the board.....we must be 5 now right?

drayman

a BIG welcome cindy from over the pond, so you married a southern jessie. well we are all not perfect,:rolleyes::biggrin: if you had married a yorkshireman you would be in 7th heaven ( joke ) sorry its my sence of humour.:eek:

OldWrangler

Greetings and welcome from Spring, Texas where today is going to be a bright sunny day in the upper 70's and tomorrow in the 80's.

No pen turning today, I'm planting in my garden, mostly varieties of peppers and some gourds along the back fence.

Top Bottom