Good trade???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The gas company is laying new pipe in our street, and I traded for about 7' of scrap pipe. To me, they look like the PVC water pipes we use, but one if the workers said it was polyurethane. Anybody know for sure? If it's different than the colored water pipes, has anybody worked with it before? I promised the guys secret compartment keychains out of it. I can always use the water pipe, if this is no good, as they loved those.

I probably won't get to cut it for a few days.

image-2989085622.jpg

image-1068196017.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Heck give it a go...The big problem I see is the wall thickness looks like 5/16 or 3/8 at most???
I don't know how polyurethane compares to PVC it mite be a little softer try shaving it with a knife. I know you would have a hard time shaving PVC...
Good Luck keep us posted...

mdl7070

i have hauled many loads of that kind of gas line on the semi. i can tell you that it is a fairly soft pipe and when it gets to be around 100 degrees f outside the stuff is like trying to pick up boiled pasta. not alot of strength to it

Heck give it a go...The big problem I see is the wall thickness looks like 5/16 or 3/8 at most??? I don't know how polyurethane compares to PVC it mite be a little softer try shaving it with a knife. I know you would have a hard time shaving PVC... Good Luck keep us posted... .

It's about 9/16, actually. Not ideal, but workable. Went at an edge with my pocketknife, and it is definitely softer than the water pipe I've got. With that, I'm thinking that polishing this stuff could get interesting. I'll be sure to take notes and pics as I get to work with it, and post what I find. Thanks.

i have hauled many loads of that kind of gas line on the semi. i can tell you that it is a fairly soft pipe and when it gets to be around 100 degrees f outside the stuff is like trying to pick up boiled pasta. not alot of strength to it

Thanks for the heads up. I be sure to be extra careful not to get it to hot while drilling. Looks like kitless may not be an option then, huh? Here I was thinking about an all yellow pen, so bright it's unlosable. :)

2 Saw

That is polyethelene pipe made by the company I work for Performance Pipe the yellow is made in Knoxville Tn. or Williamstown Ky. to tell for sure there will be a # with the abbreviations KV or WT. I work at the Williamstown plant for the last 40 years.
It is soft and will melt if you use much pressure while sanding.
I have made a couple of pens out of it the 1/2" CTS size will just fit over a magnetic vertex from penn state our general manager ended up with that one.
Kerry

Top Bottom