good kinda problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I am getting some Baron kits from our friend, BB. The impetus to do Baron's was a pen I received from Tom Stover in the Pen in the Hat exchange. It is a gold Baron made with antler and walnut and, to me, it is a very elegant, hard to top pen. Now, the problem is, I want to top it. I have decided to use antler for the cap but cannot decide on a wood that will surpass the natural beauty and elegance of walnut. The combination, to my eye is hard to beat. Elegance and masculinity is what I am after. I would consider not using antler if another idea really catches my fancy. Help! I need some imaginative and creative thinking here. Otherwise, I will do a copy-cat of Tom's pen and it will be only 'almost' as good as his.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Frank... try some nicely figured mesquite... Bill has some gorgeous stabilized mesquite... I just got some from him... makes a nice contrast to the antler...
And I don't doubt you will do as good a job as Tom did... just take your time and think about what you are trying to accomplish...

dmadis

How about the combination used by tipusn - osage orange and walnut.
I find this color combination admirable. His picture of the pen is at

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Scanned&mid=298&cid=376

Rifleman1776

I never expected this kind of response. Thanks all. Yes, walnut is hard to beat, one of the most beautiful, plentiful and easy to work woods there is. And we don't have to get it from distant lands. But, so as not to be a copy-cat of Smokey10s pen, I believe I will use African Blackwood. The contrast is nice. And I have a plentiful supply from a trade. If I don't screw it up too badly, I'll post a picture later. Looking for my package from Arizona Sil. maybe today.

Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />Antler cap and ebony body would look outstanding. If worries about ebony cracking then go with African Blackwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom