Good FP nib for new, not from kit, construction?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jgourlay

Hi all, new member to the forum here. I've turned quite a few "Statesman" pen kits, and want to try going "kitless". I have a metal turning lathe, and can cast. So I'm thinking about casting the "jewelry" to final size for all but the machine threaded or push fit sections (silver most likely), leaving those part near-net, then machining them.

However, the one thing I DON'T want to get into manufacturing is the feedtube assembly for the nib. I want to start with a nib assembly that, at worst, I just have to tap an internal thread into the grip for the nib+plastic nib parts. Then plug in a standard "universal" size ink reservoir. I do want a high quality nib.

On nibs.com they show some Pelikan nibs. But looking at the rear of these, they clearly don't go right to the cartridge/reservoir, but instead must interface with some other part "not sold seperately". What do you all suggest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Are you looking for steel or gold? The website you mentioned, www.nibs.com has gold nibs and feeds that should work just fine.
Otherwise, as Mike mentioned, check Heritage.
If you plan on making a ton of these pens, I am working with Bock in Germany on purchasing nibs and possibly feeds/feed housings... if this is something you'd be interested in, let me know as they have minimum order quantities to meet, so the more the merrier!

Joe, I will second (or third) the Heritage nibs. You will need a special tap for all of the feeder sections. Heritage is different then Meisternibs, but both are not standard taps. Lou (Heritage) sold the taps a few months ago. Maybe check around the site to see if someone purchased one and would be willing to part with it. I have just made the kitless jump myself and getting the tap was the biggest part for me.

Good luck!

PTJeff

But if you have a metal lathe, chances are you can cut threads without a tap or die. My justification for more tools!

Top Bottom