Good and bad day in the shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The good is I turned a 10" long by 6-7" round log of cedar down to 10"x 4.5" blank... got a order for a mortar and pedestal. Should turn out good - will post pics when done.
The BAD is when I was drilling a pen blank and when I was moving the tailstock back on the lathe (lathe still running) the chuck decided to come out of the tailstock with the bit still partly in the blank. Thankfully I was standing to one side when the chuck and parts of the bit decided to leave the area at a high rate of speed. If I was where I normally stand I do I would have ate the chuck with a piece of bit still in it somewhere - not good. Wife heard the explosion (was loud) and came to check on me - other than a change of pants I was ok.
Lesson learned...... back off the bit using the hand wheel and not to unlock the tailstock and slide back ... and wife suggest I wear a bullet proof vest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knucklefish

Been there done that. Had the chuck and bit fly up and hit the ceiling. Scared the doo-doo outta me. Just glad that I still have my teeth, missed me by an inch or so. The drill bit was bent at a 90 degree angle. I have it hung on my wall as a reminder to be careful.
John

rsulli16

hi
happened to me too. half the drill stayed and the other very jagged ended half and the chuck flew!!. Took me days to find it.
scared me good too.
Sulli

KBs Pensnmore

... and wife suggest I wear a bullet proof vest.
What about a bullet proof face mask!!!!!
Yes it happened to me too, except I was winding back the hand wheel, I've got 3 drillbits for the price of 1, only thing is none are are of any use.
Kryn

PenPal

Aaron,

I sympathise I have had a drill and chuck chase me twice out of (dropped out) whilst drilling tough blanks while backing off.

I threw away the chuck replaced it with a threaded rod type through the shaft never had that problem again, on my pen lathe the mandrel is captive through the head stock by a threaded rod as is the drill chuck in the tail stock when in use. Pure fear prompted this.

Trust you have recovered and stay safe.

Kind regards Peter.

I have saved the bit - what pieces I could find.... I am putting them above my work bench as a reminder - I recovered and have drilled since with no flashbacks ... lol
I think the wife said something about "a bullet proof face mask" but I did explain I needed to see what I was doing.

Such is life and my new order of supplies arrived today so I get to turn some more pens.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Why do I see her getting you something like this:
Black_Knight_Helmet.jpg

Me too!!! Through several suggestions here, I now keep my free hand on the chuck as I move the tail stock back. Not had any problem since.

joek30296

The MT2 chuck I recently bought from Woodcraft came threaded for 1/4-20 rod which I've used successfully several times in the headstock to hold small parts. However, I just tried it in the tailstock and it works there too.....of a fashion. The travel is limited by by far I tighten the lock nut on the threaded rod. But it still keeps the chuck from coming out of the tailstock.
Just my two cents.

Joe

Top Bottom