Gold Atrax Duo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rink

Rink

Pens #11 and #12. Gold Atrax RBs with Amalgam-Mutt blanks.

I found the blanks challenging to turn, but rewarding in the end result. Both blanks experienced an almost dime-sized blowout while turning. But I glued them back on and now can't even tell where they were. Had to sharpen the HSS chisels constantly. About 5 coats of CA, then some HUT plastic polish.

Photography still evolving. Used a cardboard coffee box with holes cut in the sides, wrapped in an old white tshirt, with work lights shining through. My wife helped with the photog, that's why the pic is as good as it is.

Happy to hear any constructive comments, either on the pens or the photography.

Attachments

• Pen11_upload.jpg
    Pen11_upload.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Or just change the white balance. If you are colorblind (like me) you can get an expo disc to create a custom white balance for the camera.

Why did you have to sharpen the HSS chisels constantly? Obviously they were dull but once sharp they should hold.

Rink

Thanks everyone for the comments. These were anniversary pens, the green one is mine the orange one is my wife's, she picked that blank out right away.

Ed - thanks for the link. I read that a while back. Looks like you get great results with the waterstones. I have just been hitting the edges with a bench grinder free-hand. I'm still learning and that's probably not the best approach.

Mike - yes I like the feel of the Atrax, these are my first two. However, my hand is pretty big, and I find the non-postable is just a bit short for completely comfortable writing. Think I will stick with postables for my own use.

CrimsonKeel - thanks for the suggestion. My wife read your post and took them outside and photo'd them on a wooden bench and those pics were better. We're working on a photo setup that should help.

edstreet

Ed - thanks for the link. I read that a while back. Looks like you get great results with the waterstones. I have just been hitting the edges with a bench grinder free-hand. I'm still learning and that's probably not the best approach.

What type of chisel(s) are you using? I am guessing you have not been properly introduced to the round nose scraper, say 1/2" to 1" and larger the better :)

Rink

I'm using HSS chisels. The cheap $38 set from HF. I figured I needed to ease into pen turning as inexpensively as possible, HF lathe works great. Now that I'm down the road, I may need to upgrade to better chisels. I'm using the gouges almost exclusively. Haven't gotten the feel for the skew yet. The set does have a round-nose chisel with a bevel on the bottom side, about half inch or so. I would call it a scraper. Haven't tried it yet. I should probably chuck up a scap piece and give all the chisels a try. It's interesting how different materials feel under the chisel. Acrylic different than wood. Purpleheart different than cherry. The amalgam-mutt blanks are a combination.

edstreet

Correct. Each chisel design has + and - to them. The difference is type of material, hardness/softness of the material, density, grain direction and the like.

This might help you greatly. Articles Index correct that there are more bowl related topics but chisel work is chisel work is chisel work. Also some very good insight into using, sharpening, design and purpose.

Top Bottom