gluing the brass tube in?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The glue comes off your hands (in a few days), so you can recoat!

Or Acetone will take it off (mostly) faster, coupled with a shower and good soap.

LEAP

I used an old nail set for a long time before I bought an insertion tool. I put a little wax on the tool to keep the glue from sticking to it. I also use small craft sticks (a couple bucks for 500)to spread the glue inside the blank and on the tube. Hardly ever get any glue on my hands anymore.

hanau

using other things to hold the tube, then slide the tube in what keeps the tube from sticking to the holder?

i used a steel punch and it was on there for a few seconds and the tube started to stick to the punch. does wax help?

George7

I've found that a 1/2 cc insulin syringe makes a great tool for 7 mm tubes. I clip the needle and put the orange needle cover back on the syringe and use it as an insertion tool. CA doesn't stick very well to the plastic so a syringe can be used quite a few times. I use 2 syringes a day, so I will probably never run out.

Dario

I use nitrile gloves sold at HF.

For insertion, I sometimes use old Sharpie markers. The end is rounded enough to push (cannot over push too) and the size is perfect for me.

For spreading glue inside the hole, I use bamboo BBQ skewers. You can re-use the same one for a long time too.

tnilmerl

Why all the muss with insertion tools. Just use a scrap piece of wood or cover your worbench with a sheet of cardboard. Take a tube buttered up with the glue of your choice, rotate the tube in and out of the blank a few times to butter the inside of the blank. Then, insert tube mostly into the blank, invert blank onto scrap wood/cardboard, push tube flush with blank, then "SLIDE" the blank across the scrap all the way to the edge. This keeps the tube inside the blank and wipes off most of the excess glue. If using CA, the give it a quick shot of accelerator to dry the remaining glue. Any glue that seeps inside the tube is quickly removed with an Exacto knife.

Been slapping this way for years and, except for a mishap with some birdseye maple in the beginning, have never had any problems since. You do have to do this quickly before the glue sets, but that the same regardless of the tube insertion method used. You still have to dry fit before gluing and you still have to trim your barrels, but why buy an unnecessary tool?

Mikey

I use my fingers. I coat half the tube and when i slide it in, the glue works it's way over the entire blank leaving only a little coming out the end. I used to not wear gloves but would always get a little and now I just get the 100 pack of gloves for $10 from places like Rockler or wherever.

JasonF

Same as Alfred, I use the cap from the CA glue (2oz and smaller). It was kinda like finding a piece of candy in your pocket when I figured it would work [:D]. The cap has a cone shape that works great with the brass tube. Glue is from Monty (best place to buy CA glue), here is a pic from his site so you can see the cap:
http://woodenwonderstx.com/WW-06/CA_Glue_Page.html

2007118215545_Glue.jpg
<br />

its_virgil

Hey Dario,
I had a tenant who left three boxes of those bamboo skewers...look like toothpicks on heavy steriods... I brought them home and have been using them also. They do work great for getting the glue spread. BTW, I use two part eposy for tubes, not CA.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Dario
<br />I use nitrile gloves sold at HF.

For insertion, I sometimes use old Sharpie markers. The end is rounded enough to push (cannot over push too) and the size is perfect for me.

For spreading glue inside the hole, I use bamboo BBQ skewers. You can re-use the same one for a long time too.

bnoles

This thread brings about a funny story I would like to share.

For the past couple of years my wife and I have been eating at a Japanese restraunt on a regular basis. It was after the first couple of visits that I would give my wife the chop sticks to put in her purse that were at the table when we were seated only to have the sweet waitress bring us another set when taking our drink orders. I would then hand those to my wife as well for the purse. When the meal was brought out, the sweet waitress would again bring us another set of chop sticks and I would repeat the process. We don't even know how to use the things and simply use the fork that is also at the table instead. Being that these chop sticks were made of wood, I simply collected them in my shop thinking that some day I might find a use for them. I must have a couple hundred sets of them stored away under my work bench. A couple of months ago, I found them to come in quite handy for applying glue to my tubes and blanks as they are a perfect size for the drilled holes and and certainly long enough to do a good job.

The waitress has come to know us quite well over the years and now when we come in, she neatly places us 3 sets each of chop sticks at the table for me to pilfer to the wife's purse. The funny part of the story is that she has yet to ask what it is I am doing with these things [}:)][:D]

Sorry.... just had to share this one [:)]

mdburn_em

Wow, I must be doing something wrong.
I bought one of those insertion tools and then found that it just gets in my way.
For coating the inside of the blanks, I use a q-tip. First I dab a couple drops of CA on it then hit it with accelerator. It makes a very nice applicator and you can use it a number of times before it gets too fat to fit in a 7mm blank, then I use it for larger ones. They're the right length too.
I also coat the tube (mostly) and slide it in and out and around in the hole to make sure I get good coverage. Then I use the back side of my exacto knife to push the tube so it's just past flush. This helps minimize the amount of glue in the tube.
Meanwhile I'm doing all of this over wax paper because CA doesn't really like wax paper. (I wear Nitrile gloves too, cuz I don't like CA glue)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bob,

Your waitress probably figures you're just another "crazy American" that can't leave free stuff alone!!!

She has to know you're not taking them home to eat Chinese, if you use the fork at the restaurant. (Try the chopsticks a few times, they are not that difficult and your waitress will be impressed that you care enough about her culture to make an attempt - she will be THRILLED to teach you how!!!) If you go to China, they don't serve forks (at least they didn't a couple decades ago), so you either learn chopsticks or drink a lot - I did both.

Ron Mc

I guess I'm old fashioned! I just use my finger and that's it. After a heavy night of gluing, my finger may end out twice as big as normal but it picks off fairly easy.

johncrane

l mainly use a two pack glue and use chopsticks too mix and spread it. They come free with take away orders at the noddle shop.using a two pack glue gives me plenty of time too get it right.Also the excess glue is easy to clean up.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom