gluing the braid to the tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ericofpendom

Hi Folks, I do hope someone is willing to tell me how to glue the wire braids to the brass tube. I have a few pieces of ss braid and I would like to have a go at casting a braided blank but I am wondering what is the best method to stick the braid to the tube. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Eric...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I don't glue it at all. I stretch it until there are no "wrinkles" in the braided steel, then trim the ends and tuck them inside the tube, fill the tube with BBs, seal with a rubber cork, repeat for the other end, then cast.

ericofpendom

Cheers PenMan1, not sure if I can tuck the ss braid in the ends of the tubes though as it is quite stiff even though it is very thin.

Eric...

KenV

You can use long plugs and whip bind the ends of the braid to the plugs -- then trim after casting. (presumes you are using a casting method that allows long casting of blanks.)

PenMan1

You can also pull the braid over the rubber stopper (cork stoppers wanna make the tube float without weight inside), twist both ends like they rolled joints in the old days, then pull the wire through a spacer block in either end of a horizontal mold (this suspends the covered tube in the middle of the blank).

Just be sure to make a "sharpie" mark just past the either end of the tube! Otherwise it makes finding the ends of the tubedifficult.

ericofpendom

Thanks again Folks for your input, can't wait to give it a try. I don't know where you guy's get your braid but I canabalised a few flexible pipe connectors that are cheap as chips over here fro Screwfix. 15mm outer diameter and they pull down to below 7mm easily.

Eric...

dexter0606

Cut the braid long. Hold one end in a vise. coat your brass tube with medium CA and slide it into the braid. Pull on the braid to collapse it onto the tube. When it dries, cut the excess length off the ends and sand/grind the braid to the length of the tube

renowb

You can also pull the braid over the rubber stopper (cork stoppers wanna make the tube float without weight inside), twist both ends like they rolled joints in the old days, then pull the wire through a spacer block in either end of a horizontal mold (this suspends the covered tube in the middle of the blank).

Just be sure to make a "sharpie" mark just past the either end of the tube! Otherwise it makes finding the ends of the tubedifficult.

Hmmm, I don't remember that...

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Hmmm, I don't remember that...
Isn't that what the bracelet helper holds????

Top Bottom