Gluing in kit parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bca1313

I just turned my first emperor jr. and when I put it together the parts seemed to go in a little easier than I would like. What would be the recommended way to secure them? I was going to use CA (medium), but was not sure if this could withstand the twisting force of the cap being screwed on over and over.

Thoughts. Thanks,

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Blue Loctite works very well. The alternative is to put a thin bead of CA on the inside of the tube and then let it dry overnight before assembling. The CA will add enough thickness to make a good press fit.

Dario

I wonder why there is more of these now than before.

I used to encounter one loose fitting kit in 100. This weekend I assemled 5 Sierras and all are loose! I can push out the clip part out with my bare hands! (using the mechanism)

I tried a Jr Gent II and it too is loose. I can tighten the cover and the nib end comes out loose...the clip part also rotates and damages the finish of the pen! [:(!]

Are manufacturers skimping on the plating now???

At this rate, I will need to do a group buy for loctite!!! [B)][:(!]

Ron Mc

I've noticed the "loose" fittings as well. On pretty much all styles of pens that I offer. It seems to have gotten much worse in the last month. I'm not sure what the manufacturer run dates are so I have no idea if I just got a bad run.
I've been using CA and now will try the Blue Loctite method. Is loctite available at the local hardware store?

mrcook4570

I have never met a tight fitting sierra. I have been using epoxy on all parts that have a exposed male threads or a press fit clip. I've had too many work loose over time not to take this precaution.

Randy_

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />.....I've been using CA and now will try the Blue Loctite method. Is loctite available at the local hardware store?

I've seen it at HD and would assume a well stocked hardware store should have it.

Anybody know what the shelf life of Loctite is?

Randy_

Originally posted by bca1313
<br />.....I was going to use CA (medium), but was not sure if this could withstand the twisting force of the cap being screwed on over and over.

Can't say for sure; but my feeling is that any of the previously mentioned adhesives will be satisfactory. I use thin CA to glue my pens together; but am thinking about switching over to the blue Loctite. Haven't ever had a problem with the CA messing up a finish; but why take a chance??

Some folks have suggested that glueing in the parts is a problem because you will not be able to disassemble the pen if necessary. IMO, that is a legitimate concern and worth consideration. However, I have never had to disassemble a pen; but have had a couple come loose, so I would rather "insure" against what I perceive to be the more likely problem and glue them together. A lot of pen kits are so inexpensive that it may not be worth the time to disassemple and fix them. That being said, if you are working with high-dollar kits and expensive blanks, repairing a problem pen is almost certainly would be worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom