Gluing Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

Hi all.

I have a few pieces of corian I would like to turn down to replace the metal bushings for finishing purposes. I'm tired of gluing the bushings to the blanks and then having to carefully cut away the finish without haveing it chip out on the end.

I tried gluing a 7mm tube in with thick CA, but when I was trimming the top, it pushed through. Will Poly glue work better?

Also since I will be turning the bushings so that they are smaller than the final pen is there anything I can put on the corian so the CA won't stick to the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

A fellow named, Ken, who sells and distributes Corian from the Saw Mill Creek forum reccomends CA. He says that Cyberbond 2002 is the best for corian. He also sells that so it may, or may not, be an objective reccomendation. I no longer belong to SMC or would give you a link to his post on this subject.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by sandking
<br />Hi all.

I have a few pieces of corian I would like to turn down to replace the metal bushings for finishing purposes. I'm tired of gluing the bushings to the blanks and then having to carefully cut away the finish without haveing it chip out on the end.

I tried gluing a 7mm tube in with thick CA, but when I was trimming the top, it pushed through. Will Poly glue work better?

Also since I will be turning the bushings so that they are smaller than the final pen is there anything I can put on the corian so the CA won't stick to the blank?

If CA will stick a tube into corian (and I know it does) it will also build up during the finishing process. I would think that anything you apply to the corian so that the CA would not build up could possibly "migrate" and cause you finishing problems. I would suggest that if you want to make bushings that CA will not stick to you invest in some delrin.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />A fellow named, Ken, who sells and distributes Corian from the Saw Mill Creek forum reccomends CA. He says that Cyberbond 2002 is the best for corian. He also sells that so it may, or may not, be an objective reccomendation. I no longer belong to SMC or would give you a link to his post on this subject.

I believe that Cyberbond is what the professionals use. There is also another adhesive but the name escapes me.

lostlugnut

Hi

Here is something I have found that works for me. One day killing time at Big Lots while the Lady of the house was getting her nails done I came across some of those white cutting boards. I have no idea what they are made of but they are pretty non-stick in the kitchen. Insted of using one of the wifes I picked up a 3 pack. They are only about 3/8 thick but i cut them in squares and drilled them a little undersized and used dowell with sandpaper to bring them uo to the correct ID. I turned them round and put a cone profile on them. After turning the pen I swap the real bushing with these and then I apply the finish. CA/BLO has not stuck to them yet for me. Give it a try, I am no expert by no means.

M

Mudder

I got a PM asking about delrin bit I somehow lost it so I'll reply here.

Delrin is a trade name for acetal and you can purchase Delrin in a 3/4" rod that's 4 ft long for $11.90 and shipping from MSC http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1986731&PMT4NO=18126646

You can also get other diameters from MSC. Do a search for Delrin Rod. Here is a link http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

I thought someone here sold some a while back, maybe they will chime in here.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />I got a PM asking about delrin bit I somehow lost it so I'll reply here.

Delrin is a trade name for acetal and you can purchase Delrin in a 3/4" rod that's 4 ft long for $11.90 and shipping from MSC http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1986731&PMT4NO=18126646

You can also get other diameters from MSC. Do a search for Delrin Rod. Here is a link http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

I thought someone here sold some a while back, maybe they will chime in here.

Chime! [;)] That was me. I had a large quantity that I had purchased for making some products (non-pen related) but it proved to be an unsuccessful venture. Surprisingly, there was expressed interest here and at TPS so I sold it off at near cost just to get rid of it. Very soft stuff, impossible to break and equally impossible to glue. Has it's uses but not for what I want. I just bought a bunch of 1" white UHMW rod for yet another idea but might turn a piece just to see if it might make a decent looking pen. But don't tell anybody I'm working with a non-wood product. [;)]

DocRon

. I just bought a bunch of 1" white UHMW rod for yet another idea but might turn a piece just to see if it might make a decent looking pen.. [;)]
I expect you will also have trouble gluing to UHMW. Good for bushings, a little trouble for putting in the tubes. If you roughen well and use epoxy - maybe.
I made a zero clearance plate for my TS from one of those cutting boads - works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom