Glueing pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gothycdesigns

So this may be a dumb question, but I am searching for the best method to use for glueing the brass tube in the pen blank. My method is to use the thick CA and smear a good amount at the bottom of the tube or the side that enters the blank first. Well this sometimes seems to just collect at the top of the blank. So I am wondering with this method, do you think I may not be getting good glue coverage?

The other method I have used is a Q-tip to help with an intial smearing inside the blank and a little more on the brass, then insert.
I just hate to see a waste of glue at the end of the blank which sometime i'll use to make sure I get the tube ends secured just in case.

Should i use a medium CA instead of Thick? I read that thick CA seems to be best for gap filling in the blanks just in case of bit wander.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Ray
GD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

Ray, I've used thin CA, Medium CA and Araldite ( 2 part epoxy ). All of them have worked well bat I should have kept notes to see what was best on what. The advantage with CA is that it dries quickly and I find it less messy to use - I mostly use thin CA and have never had any let go. The push out with any glue is unavoidable but I find that twisting the tube and pushing it in very quickly works for me.

scotirish

So far I have good success with the thick CA glue. :D I put several strips of the glue on the outside of the tube, end to end. Then insert the tube, twisting as I do it. Pull partway out and re insert, twisting again. This time I leave it just below the surface of the blank end. I also found that putting the glue in the blank and then inserting the tub meant that I had a lot of glue to clean out of the tube.:( Happiness is finding what you work with that works well!

avbill

i started with dental wax you can purchase it at Arizona Silhouette or you can use candle wax. put one end of the tube into the wax the wax seal tube from allowing any glue getting in.

hope this helps bill d [8D]

Top Bottom