Glue Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Ordered blanks, kits, etc. from PSI to make my first pens/pencils, but failed to order any glue. I understand that some people like CA (super glue), and some like epoxy. Do I need to order a special kind of CA or epoxy from PSI, or can I use the epoxy from Wal-Mart or Home Depot that comes in that double-barrel syringe type applicator? If the hobby grows, I will get set up w/ more gear and order my glue in bulk I suppose, like I buy my woodworking glue in bulk, but how about to get through the learning on my first few? Is the squeeze epoxy ok? Thanks a lot, I've learned a ton from reading this forum. Y'all are very informative and helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

I've had no problems using either plain old cheapo HF epoxy or the more expensive brand name stuff, with the results being about as equal as near as I can determine.

People with more experience than I have may have a different take on it and I won't disagree with them if they do.

longbeard

I use the 5 min epoxy that you get from walmart, gorilla glue for the tubes. No problems in a year and half of using it. Med CA for finish, some use thin ca also.

ctubbs

5 min epoxy works very well for tubes if you are not going into production mode, then I recommend a longer time setting epoxy, 30 min, 60 min, or if findable 2 hr. But for doing 4 or 5 or so pens, the 5 min works very well. Just remember to plug the tube with something before inserting the tube in the blank. Digging set up epoxy out of the tube is not my idea of a fun hour or two and it must be removed before assembly or the turned blank will be damaged and the parts will not go into the tubes correctly. As always, YMMV.
Charles

Tom T

I use CA glue in small bottles from Wood Craft. I also by extra spout caps, as they will clog.
A small bottle will last a very long time. It has worked for me. What the others say is also great. They most likely have made more pens then me. The a proxy fills the gaps better.
I am still under 100 or so.
There are great venders on this site that also sell CA.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ordered blanks, kits, etc. from PSI to make my first pens/pencils, but failed to order any glue. I understand that some people like CA (super glue), and some like epoxy. Do I need to order a special kind of CA or epoxy from PSI, or can I use the epoxy from Wal-Mart or Home Depot that comes in that double-barrel syringe type applicator? If the hobby grows, I will get set up w/ more gear and order my glue in bulk I suppose, like I buy my woodworking glue in bulk, but how about to get through the learning on my first few? Is the squeeze epoxy ok? Thanks a lot, I've learned a ton from reading this forum. Y'all are very informative and helpful.
Just as a technical point. Due to the stresses in turning, epoxy is stronger for holding tubes. CA does not have good shear strength holding power and epoxy does.

KenV

And almost all epoxies clean up with white vinegar -- before it has set up. Have a pint handy to clean hands etc if you are a clumsy as I am.

sbwertz

I just started using gorilla glue. I was having blowups on the lathe with both epoxy and CA when turning the fragile mulberry crown blanks. Haven't had a blowup since I switched to gorilla glue.

bluetongue

Any of the polyurethane glues such as gorilla or titbond work great.

Have tried epoxy slow and quick cure with not so good results. Have tried CA glue and usually have to forfeit blanks and turn glue from tubes for re-use.

CA is best for finishing pens ...........

my 2 cents

Top Bottom