Gloves and lathes don't mix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeleton2014

This thread brings up a question... I get little cuts in my fingertips in the winter from dry skin. It makes sanding sort of painful, especially inside boxes. I know the best solution is to prevent the cuts, but hand lotion doesn't help because I'm not too religious about it. I usually use bandaids, but they are not a very good solution. I thought about using a finger cot or a leather thimble, but I imagine those could be torn off as well. Anyone solve this problem?

I also get the cuts in my fingertips and can't stand to put lotion on especially during the day when I'm trying to work. I found "gooping" up my hands with Working Hands (another O'Keefe product that comes in a bright green tub) and putting on cotton "beauty gloves" at night while I sleep works wonders. Two or three nights with the gloves and cream seems to speed up the healing and close those cracks. The gloves and Working Hands can be found at most any drug store. I've seen Working Hands at Lowes, Home Depot, and even at our local Harbor Freight Tools.
Jeff

raar25

Working Hands Lotion Works Great

This thread brings up a question... I get little cuts in my fingertips in the winter from dry skin. It makes sanding sort of painful, especially inside boxes. I know the best solution is to prevent the cuts, but hand lotion doesn't help because I'm not too religious about it. I usually use bandaids, but they are not a very good solution. I thought about using a finger cot or a leather thimble, but I imagine those could be torn off as well. Anyone solve this problem?

Jeff I put a jar of the working hands lotion in my bathroom and right before I go to bed every night I put a little on my finger tips and it really really works. I am normally a bloody mess especially when I use alot cleaning agents like DNA which draws water out of the skin and this year I made an effor to just make it part of my nightly routine and it has really made a difference. Other lotions have not worked for me like the stuff in the green jar do.

ctubbs

RE: Cuts/cracks on fingers

I used to always have deeply cracked skin on my fingers year around. the skin would get thick and hard then crack deeply enough to even bleed. I went to the dermatologist for help and was asked if I were an Electrician. You bet I are one. According to the Dr. the plasticizing compounds in the insulation were drawing the natural oils from the skin causing the problem. He prescribed a lotion, Salex, that has worked wonders for several years now. Like Jeff, I have a terrible time of keeping up the routine of applying so the problem does return.

On the original question of gloves, NEVER EVER WEAR GLOVES OF ANY TYPE AROUND ROTATING MACHINERY! I have seen way too many injuries directly attributable top gloves. If a glove can catch, even if it does tare away, it can and eventually will cause an injury. Close fitting clothing, short hair or securely put up, no jewelry of any kind including watches, and no gloves around ANY rotating equipment and or tools. Ever. Many of the plants I work in and contractors I work for are now making this a requirement to maintain employment.

Still loving all my body parts.
Charles

stonepecker

Mostly in the winter I would get 'cracks' on my hands. The cold and outdoor work without covering was a pain. Now this was 45+ years ago. They had a cream called "utter onitment". I would wash my hands and then put this on with a pair of brown jersy gloves to sleep. Next morning, my hands didn't have cracks. From the first time I used this treatment till I left the farm.......this was every night.
And when I would be gone from home for a weekend or so, my hands knew it. Monday night was a very healing night.

wyone

Hmmm Ok so now I have to look for SALEX as per Charles. I have been an electrician for a while.. going on 42 years now and thought my hands were the way they are because I work too hard and wash my hands too much. Now I can tell my wife it is my JOB. :) :)

Proud2Turn

New skin is basically CA, maybe clear nail polish. My son in law used CA for a field dressing in the marines.

FYI - CA was originally developed to secure wounds. Keep some in my first aid kit.

On the gloves, I'm with the no gloves (or anything else that could get caught up) near fast moving machinery crowd. The only thing I want to lose in the shop is the worries of the day. :biggrin:

Fay Prozora

I wore gloves one time while turning. They are driving gloves but took them off. I like the feel of the tools in my hand. It was very cold that day and I didn't want the gloves to rip off so never did that again. I've had paper towels and sand paper ripped out of my hands so I try to be very careful while turning. Fay

low_48

If I don't wear a glove turning big work like 18" diameter bowls, I'll have to stop turning them. The impact of the big curls hitting my hand is too painful to endure. I can tell my skin is thinning with age, so it will be a necessity from here on. So far, the financial gain is worth the risk.

Cracked Hands

I use either Bag Balm or Vaseline at night. I take an old white sock or socks and lather up and slide my hand in the sock and go to sleep. After a couple of nights I am good as new.

triw51

If I don't wear a glove turning big work like 18" diameter bowls, I'll have to stop turning them. The impact of the big curls hitting my hand is too painful to endure. I can tell my skin is thinning with age, so it will be a necessity from here on. So far, the financial gain is worth the risk.

When I have that problem I wrap paper towels around my hand and tape it with small pieces of masking tape. That stops the chips from hitting me and if I get a catch it tears away very easily.

sbwertz

This sounds weird, but you can get a product called HoofMaker at tack stores. It is made to condition horses' hooves. It is the best skin lotion I have ever used. Almost every horseman I know uses it. It comes in a big tub with a pump on it. It has almost no fragrence, and it is not greasy. It will get rid of the cracks on your hands.

You can get it in a small tube at Walgreens, but it is MUCH cheaper to buy it at the tack store.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/mane-%27n-tail-hoofmaker-hand-%26-nail-therapy/ID=prod10975-product

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16233

Last edited:
Top Bottom