Giving Pens to others....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

I never really started making pens with the intention of selling them. Since getting into this addiction a few months ago, I've made about 24 pens, and I realized I better start thinning the herd to make room for more...

I loaded them all up in my soft pen case this week and took them with me on a business trip from sunny CA to miserable cold and snowy Hartford CT. This is one of my quarterly junkets to the "Home Office" to attend meetings with some of my peers. I gave away 6 pens to fellow executives, and they all loved them. Many said "I insist on paying you!", but I refused. The best reward was sitting in a high level meeting just now, and seeing those 6 new pen owners using their new pen and admiring the wood and finish. That alone was reward enough for me to keep making pens.

Although at this rate I could go broke with this new addiction!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

There isn't anything wrong with at least making back costs so you can make another...but great reqard giving and expecting nothing in return.

I agree, and most of the recipients wanted to know what it cost me to build the pen they chose. In this case, I wanted it to be a gift. Now when others start hitting me up for pens, I will ask them to pay for the kit/blank. The time spent turning the pen is my therapy from a stressful job, so no charging for that!

volozhin

I also give them as gifts, mainly to family. To me I get more than the recipient. Just the wow from the recepient more than pays for the kit and the time spent turning.
For me that's what makes this a great hobby.

Alchymist

Out of the 20-30 pens last summer, all were gifts except 2 - they went to an auction benefit for a cancer patient. All of my woodworking since retiring in '08 has been gifts for friends & family.

Mike Powell

I have been known to give a few away. Its a good way to get your name out, and also I give them to people who have referred me to a bigger sale.
For instance I got a call for a sale that was expected to be a 40 or 60 dollar single pen sale, showed up and 45 minutes later I had 500.00 in my pocket. The person that referred me got their pick out of my portfolio. Friends and family have always been free or at a big discount usually cost if they insist on purchasing.

Top Bottom