Giving credit where it's due

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Now that entries are closed, I want to share the story behind my entry into the pen and display contest.

This piece is called "Remembrances". I began putting the concept in place a few months ago when Ray Charles died. I could have called it "Ebony and Ivory" but that seems so cliché. The design is to evoke the starkness and the rough, edginess of the creative process through the Australian coolibah. The slice of burl used as the base represents the soothing of the soul as the piece is completed, it's edges undoubtedly to be smoothed by interpretation. Additional elements were added when I learned that my niece's first Christian songs were copyrighted and to be published. The cross pen clip was added as a tribute to her spirituality. The golden piano and bench were added to celebrate the 96th Psalm, "Sing to the Lord a new song". A music box was added by hand mortising out the back and bottom of the burl using a 1/4" drill bit to run a series of contiguous holes, then hand chiseling out the remainder. The Sankyo mechanism is set into the burl such that the weight of the pen keeps the music box turned off, while lifting the pen plays "The Sound of Music", by Oscar Hammerstein and Richard Rogers.

This is your basic $1.50 slimline kit from my friend, Bill B. I did clear powder-coat the fittings for added durability. The cross clip and top are really for the PSI kit and were obtained through my friend Sheila at POC. The materials used include Coolibah burl from one of my newest friends Lee Tannenbaum, Pink Ivory from Fritz at Woodurninz, American Holly from the internet, Nigerian Ebony from POC and the custom center band is elephant ivory from a 1940's coat I purchased at the Salvation Army. Due to turning my own center band, I was able to widen the body of the pen. This allowed me the flexibility of duplicating one octave of a piano through a lamination inspired by Ed Davidson. Some of you may wonder what the Pres is doing with an entry in the Novice category, so I'll explain. This is the first time I've customized a pen kit (other than by taking liberties with body shape), my first custom center band, and my first laminate.

200412151153_DCBluesman_Novice1_Shot1.jpg

The set will be a Christmas gift to my niece, by way of the contributions of everyone mentioned above and by way of all of the rest of you who have inspired me beyond words. Thank you ALL so very much! [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

Lou your set is very thoughtful about Ray Charles one of my Bluesman, BTW it's where you get your nickname? I'm very sure that your niece will take good care about this piece of art.

Bravo !!

Serge

Fred in NC

Very nice and very thoughtful, Lou.

As for the credits, it is my own personal opinion that we all get inspiration here and there, it is very normal. You did not duplicate anybody's work, so it is your own personal design. You can be very proud of the final result!

Good idea powder coating the parts. I am looking into that. The slimline is a very versatile source of parts for many projects, that is the kit I use the most. Again, great job!

wayneis

I think that each of occationally get inspired to do something maybe a little nicer than usual. My entry is a gift for my favorite Lawyer. She went to Law school for three years all the while holding down a full time job as Director of the computer department for a large Malpractice Insurance Company and kept up her duties as a mother of a young boy, he is now sixteen and and also took time out for Husband. I wanted this to be a special gift for her new Law office that she is in the process of opening as I type this message. Thats why I chose the recovered heart birch, it's beautiful and not something that you see every day. I chose the bloodwood for its hardness and raw beauty and the holly because to me it looks so pure. I picked out the Reugue music movement because it's the best there is. Ruegue is the oldest and finest music movement money can buy and every movement is made by hand. Why not have a little music when you are writing that important document or when the day is going bad and you need a little pick me up. Then I chose the new Jr. Gentleman's ballpoint pen and pencil set because in my opinion it is the nicest set available. I chose Afzilia XY Lay because of it's unique and rare grain. I put more into the sanding and finishing these pieces than I have for any other piece that I've ever built.

Now you may wonder who is this person that inspired me to do this, well she is the Love of my Life, the Mother to a sixteen year old son that makes us so proud, she is my Best Friend and Wife May Ann. And to top off all her accomplishments, she is back in school getting her LLM, an advanced degree in Law. It's never boring in this household.

Corney but true,

Wayne

Fred in NC

Not corny, Wayne, but very touching. She sure deserves what you made for her, and all the love and care you put into it.

My most sincere congratulations to May Ann, and my best wishes for her new Law practice and career, and also for he continued studies for her LLM. And to you too, Wayne, you know that it takes two to cha-cha.

C_Ludwigsen

These are both moving descriptions. I enjoyed them. I hope to be "writing a story" soon as well for my oldest brother. He turns 50 in February and I hope to make him a Gentleman's set and desk stand with a nice holding case for the whole thing. Haven't chosen the wood(s) yet. All of these contest entries and their stories are true inspiration towards that goal.

PenWorks

You guys are starting to make me feel bad. "Ray" he's da man, a lovely wife, an older brother, gifts from the heart. And then I was selfish and made myself a new golf desk pen. Can I withdraw it or is it to late ? LOL These really are great stories, I think Cosmopolitan magazine should read this stuff, They think we just turn wood.

melogic

First of all. Lou, very nice craftsmanship. Second, I enjoyed both touching stories. This is what I love the most about creating works of art is the stories behind the items. It makes things so much more personal and priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom