Gift for my Brothers wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
As most of you know I sent each of my brothers a Elegant Sierra with a blank made from the same type of wood that our tree house was in. And I've made a pen for each of there wife's with a wood of their choosing. This is the last one. It's too is an Elegant Sierra (from Exotic Blanks) with a Red Oak blank that I cut from a 3/4' x 3" board at a 45 dig. angle. I did two blanks the other was straight cut. I fully finished sanding to 12000 mm and finished with 20 coats of WTF. My brother picked out the angle cut blank, thought she would like how cool the effect the angle cut gave it and that people would have a hard time figuring out what kind of wood it is. All C&C welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 135
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mchech

Great job with a chunk of domestic hardwood. I have lots of kiln dried red oak short cuts laying around. Thanks Dan, you've inspired me to explore some angles.

Ambidex

:biggrin:Very nice Dan!...I'm taking an unwelcome but needed hiatus from this forum..postingwise that is..I wish we had more of you and less of the negative people here..some use the "you want to learn don't you?" argument...some use the" I'm older and more experienced and what I say is correct mentality"..but overall I'm going to miss the intelligent positive feedbackers that understand they didn't start as EXPERTS..I hope you keep improving as you have and keep the attitude needed to keep an awesome forum like this ticking along...best wishes and hope to see you in the near future!! And by the way...Might be the prettiest oak pen I ever saw!!

Last edited:

Janster

.......nice Dan. Is it my poor eye sight or do I see CA ripples? The shine line does not appear consistent in the photo! NO, I am NOT dissing your work. Be well.....Jan

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the fantastic comments, I'm realty very pleased on how this one came out, I wasn't sure as I've never cut a blank like that and I had no idea on how it would look. An there are no ripples in the finish I think is just how it was shot, that for pointing out something I may not have noticed I did have to check my work.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great Pen Dan! I'm also curious how the "Pen in your hand" differs from the "Pen on the screen" :)

Oak is very open grained, so even after 20 coats of WTF it APPEARS that it is not a glass like finish, but glossy with some open grains still there.

FWIT - I LIKE a more natural feel, and have no issue what so ever with open grains - that is the nature of some beautiful wood, why try to alter it.

However, it may also reflect the pictures and not the pen, just curious!

OZturner

Beautiful Pen, Dan
I am also wrinkled, and I don't let it worry me, the piece of Red Oak, like me, is just showing it's badges of a distinctive age.
Back to the Pen, Love your Fit and Finish.
A well and worthy Gift.
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you so much for the great comment's, Mark there is still some open grain that you can feel. I'm like you I don't try to cover up the natural feel of the wood.

Top Bottom