Getting the Cave ready for visitors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A couple of good friends are coming to visit in a matter of days. So I thought I should get the Cave spruced up a bit. Kind of ....make it more presentable:rolleyes: These guys are traveling a good distance to get here and, I DON"T want them to be disappointed. DO I??:biggrin:

How did I do? :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_1656 (2).jpg
    IMG_1656 (2).jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_1657 (2).jpg
    IMG_1657 (2).jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 428

Charlie_W

Ah! It will only take you a few moments to get it in shape!:biggrin:

BTW, I hadn't thought of a SawZall as a pen turning tool!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks like a mess... Better get cracking... :biggrin:

I'm bringing a camera!!! NPDH...

Last edited:

stonepecker

Looks like you need some room for the chairs.

This can kind-of be a runthrough for when the real out-of-town guests arrive.
Looks better with each new picture. You are getting there Chuck.

I thought you went through all those boxes and put things away.
LOL

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ah! It will only take you a few moments to get it in shape!:biggrin:

BTW, I hadn't thought of a SawZall as a pen turning tool!
Don't rule out ANYTHING!:biggrin:

Looks like a mess... Better get cracking... :biggrin:

I'm bringing a camera!!! NPDH...
IT IS!:redface:

LOL
NO....I said I cleaned out 4 boxes. :redface: As you can see...there's more :rolleyes:

Skie_M

I'ld find it kind of awkward working in that shop on pens....

The grinder is across the room from your lathe, meaning lots of back and forth when you want to touch up that edge.

The drill press is right next to the lathe, and I see a ton of bits hanging up across the room from it over by the grinder.

I'ld say, either swap the drill press and the grinder positions, or move the grinder and the bits over to the left side so it's all closer together.

The table saw is in a really awkward position too .... stuck in the corner where you can't really use it. I assume you pull it out each time you need it, but a better idea would be to make it more of a central island that you can use any time you need it. Possibly keep it against the back wall under the AC unit, but there you still run into issues with length of cut.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Can't please everyone...

The grinder is across the room from your lathe, meaning lots of back and forth when you want to touch up that edge.

The drill press is right next to the lathe, and I see a ton of bits hanging up across the room from it over by the grinder.

I'ld say, either swap the drill press and the grinder positions, or move the grinder and the bits over to the left side so it's all closer together.

The table saw is in a really awkward position too .... stuck in the corner where you can't really use it. I assume you pull it out each time you need it, but a better idea would be to make it more of a central island that you can use any time you need it. Possibly keep it against the back wall under the AC unit, but there you still run into issues with length of cut.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

YOU SIR, have quite an eye and, have great organizational ideas. BUT....in my case, these won't work. The grinder hasn't been used in many years (but I have one) it's just there. I use carbide cutters for all turnings. The bits are the main sizes I use for the metal lathe. They are on magnetic strips where, they are handy. But yes, I need to move the grinder (and other stuff) Haven't used the table saw since the cave was finished. It's light and, I move it outside to cut anything. It would be a very small island in there too :redface::biggrin: Thanks Gregory....keep them coming!:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Can't please everyone...

"I went to a garden party" Rick Nelson

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

LOL
I may get a couple of stools. Looking forward to your visit too Wayne. Wanna come on down now and.....HELP?:biggrin:

stonepecker

ROTFLMAO.

You have got to be kidding. In the last 36 hours I have had to tell people that I don't have the time to get their work done in the time frame they have given me.
Example.......Their parents died....one in 2003, the other in 2014. THEY want to order a tombstone from me that I have to order. (6 weeks waiting for stone) Nothing in my stock catches their eye. They want me to meet with the sexton.....find their grave spaces and get all the regulations from the cemetery board. Design and engrave their stone and have this all done before next weekend when their siblings are comming.
Nothing like a rush job.

I told them it isn't going to happen. They tell me that they know I can do it.
That is just one example. It seem that when the weatherman starts talking about what the future has in store.......the people all get in a rush.
And, I won't rush my work cause that is when mistakes happen ......not to mention accidents.

I will be planning the trip when the holidays are over Chuck. You will know when I am comming.
See you then. Heck, I will even bring you a chair for the cave.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Why is everyone in such as dang mood, it looks perfectly fine to me, much cleaner and neater than my cave, but then again mine is a real cave .....damn those pesky bats.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mmmmm.....I wanna know how your Pretty Little Girly Studio got to be such a damned dump as you haven't used it since you built it !! :confused::biggrin:

Like the pink towels, btw.....kinda suits you!!

Sorry Chuck.....just rattling your cage as usual...:biggrin:

jttheclockman

I would wait till the guest get there and let them clean it up for you.:biggrin:

You would think it would look somewhat neater being it was just built. Why is it that no matter how much room we dedicate to our shops it is never enough??:) Good luck.

stonepecker

I will be looking for some of the new Playboy centerfolds. I really have to ask what the world is comming to when the Playboy centerfolds change the history of the magazine.

Chuck, you need some 'art' on the walls for this to be a "Man Cave" At the very least a poster from Chevy corp.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Maybe a Snap-on Calendar or clock? Copenhagen sign? The possibilities are endless but poor Chucks time and money are not, sigh. Pop a top, salute the crowd and toast the "bunch of smart asses":biggrin:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Considering I haven't turned in a year, it's much cleaner than mine. Right now I have a Big Block Chrysler, Big Block Chevy, a few powerglides, and a ton of other car parts cluttering up my shop :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
ROTFLMAO.

You have got to be kidding. In the last 36 hours I have had to tell people that I don't have the time to get their work done in the time frame they have given me.
Example.......Their parents died....one in 2003, the other in 2014. THEY want to order a tombstone from me that I have to order. (6 weeks waiting for stone) Nothing in my stock catches their eye. They want me to meet with the sexton.....find their grave spaces and get all the regulations from the cemetery board. Design and engrave their stone and have this all done before next weekend when their siblings are comming.
Nothing like a rush job.

I told them it isn't going to happen. They tell me that they know I can do it.
That is just one example. It seem that when the weatherman starts talking about what the future has in store.......the people all get in a rush.
And, I won't rush my work cause that is when mistakes happen ......not to mention accidents.

I will be planning the trip when the holidays are over Chuck. You will know when I am comming.
See you then. Heck, I will even bring you a chair for the cave.
Wayne! There is NO room for ANY chairs :redface::biggrin: But...the patio is right outside the door:wink::biggrin:

lol ... silly me! I thought your metal lathe was a grinder! :)
Poor photography :biggrin:

Why is everyone in such as dang mood, it looks perfectly fine to me, much cleaner and neater than my cave, but then again mine is a real cave .....damn those pesky bats.
FINALLY! A little support :biggrin: Thanks Roy!

Heh ... my cave is my living room with wood shavings all over the floor .... god forbid I have any guests any time this year. I really need to work on that whole "shop" thing ...
That's exactly how I began my journey. In an apartment on a workbench in the dining area. So my new cave isn't so bad :biggrin:

Mmmmm.....I wanna know how your Pretty Little Girly Studio got to be such a damned dump as you haven't used it since you built it !! :confused::biggrin:

Like the pink towels, btw.....kinda suits you!!

Sorry Chuck.....just rattling your cage as usual...:biggrin:
:biggrin: It plagues me :redface:
The Pink towel:
1. I asked her for a super absorbent towel I could use in the shop
2. THAT is the one she brought to me:tongue:
3. Over here....REAL men wear Pink:biggrin::tongue:
4. I just use the towel to dry the lathe:tongue:
THANKS Steven!:wink:

Dammit Chuck get a Budweiser lighted sign in there and get rid of the pink towels. People are starting to talk.
Mike, you have so many wonderful ideas. I WOULD love to have one of those neon signs.

I would wait till the guest get there and let them clean it up for you.:biggrin:

You would think it would look somewhat neater being it was just built. Why is it that no matter how much room we dedicate to our shops it is never enough??:) Good luck.
Already thought of that JT. But they aren't coming here for that.:redface: It will likely be a mess no matter what I do.

I will be looking for some of the new Playboy centerfolds. I really have to ask what the world is comming to when the Playboy centerfolds change the history of the magazine.

Chuck, you need some 'art' on the walls for this to be a "Man Cave" At the very least a poster from Chevy corp.
I'm thinking I'll need some shelves on those walls (what's left of them)

Skie_M

You remember that one thread that talks about using the craft foam for application of CA?

Well, it has another application too, pun fully intended.

Get a full sheet of the craft foam (or whatever size you think will fit on your lathe bed while wet sanding) and a few of the little neodymium magnets for craft work ... put two on the craft foam so that they hold the foam to your lathe bed in the proper position to catch drips. Cut any excess foam away that you think will be in the way, and then superglue the magnets to the foam while it's still right there on the lathe.

This way, the foam is re-useable and will stick magnetically to your lathe ways ... it's waterproof and will protect the lathe bed from rust while you do your wet sanding or decal work.

To keep water from pooling and then dripping onto the lathe, fold a paper towel and lay it on top the craft foam. Toss it if it gets too wet, or just squeeze out the excess water and lay it back down if you're not done using it yet.

This works especially great for those lathes designed to have the MOTOR mounted directly beneath the spindle where the WATER WOULD DRIP ON IT if you don't prevent it from happening.

(PS ... grab the foam while you're doing CA application too ... will keep the CA from getting all over the lathe bed.)

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Maybe a Snap-on Calendar or clock? Copenhagen sign? The possibilities are endless but poor Chucks time and money are not, sigh. Pop a top, salute the crowd and toast the "bunch of smart asses":biggrin:

ONLY one thing to say - looks like a very busy wood worker's cave.

Much cleaner than my shop, I'd rather make stuff than clean.

Considering I haven't turned in a year, it's much cleaner than mine. Right now I have a Big Block Chrysler, Big Block Chevy, a few powerglides, and a ton of other car parts cluttering up my shop :)

You remember that one thread that talks about using the craft foam for application of CA?

Well, it has another application too, pun fully intended.

Get a full sheet of the craft foam (or whatever size you think will fit on your lathe bed while wet sanding) and a few of the little neodymium magnets for craft work ... put two on the craft foam so that they hold the foam to your lathe bed in the proper position to catch drips. Cut any excess foam away that you think will be in the way, and then superglue the magnets to the foam while it's still right there on the lathe.

This way, the foam is re-useable and will stick magnetically to your lathe ways ... it's waterproof and will protect the lathe bed from rust while you do your wet sanding or decal work.

To keep water from pooling and then dripping onto the lathe, fold a paper towel and lay it on top the craft foam. Toss it if it gets too wet, or just squeeze out the excess water and lay it back down if you're not done using it yet.

This works especially great for those lathes designed to have the MOTOR mounted directly beneath the spindle where the WATER WOULD DRIP ON IT if you don't prevent it from happening.

(PS ... grab the foam while you're doing CA application too ... will keep the CA from getting all over the lathe bed.)
Great process! But....I'm going to want a new lathe someday. This one has held up since 2006 and so far shows no sign of quitting. So....I'm going to rust the hell out of it :wink::biggrin:

stonepecker

Hell,
Chuck can hold his own contest for the 12th Bash and make it a year long.

Which ever of his friends comes to visit him from the greatest distance, he can give them the lathe. (it is up to the winner to pay shipping).
This is one contest that Skiprat has a real chance in winning.

THEN, Chuck can get a new lathe. Maybe his bride will get him one for Christmas 2016.
Of course, he could put up a donation jar just inside the Cave and we all could chip in.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hell,

Which ever of his friends comes to visit him from the greatest distance, he can give them the lathe. (it is up to the winner to pay shipping).

THEN, Chuck can get a new lathe. Maybe his bride will get him one for Christmas 2016.
Of course, he could put up a donation jar just inside the Cave and we all could chip in.
I'll get my own lathe when the time comes. There's a limit to how much I want to owe her :wink::biggrin:

I like the donation jar idea :biggrin:
Chuck can hold his own contest for the 12th Bash and make it a year long
Maybe Derek will run the contest. He's good at stealing competitors. Shameless Varmint!!

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Hell,

I'll get my own lathe when the time comes. There's a limit to how much I want to owe her :wink::biggrin:

Maybe Derek will run the contest. He's good at stealing competitors. Shameless Varmint!!

First of all: I didn't steal them. I just "borrowed" them for the month of Feb. After that I gave them back.

Second of All: Shameless Varmit.....Ever hear that old addage about catching flies with honey?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hell,

First of all: I didn't steal them. I just "borrowed" them for the month of Feb. After that I gave them back.

Second of All: Shameless Varmit.....Ever hear that old addage about catching flies with honey?
No.....you're confused.. borrowing is obtaining with permission:wink: Without permission it's STEALING :biggrin: How much Honey are we talking about? Never mind your criminal history. We don't care about that. :biggrin: Just need a good contest aimed at getting Skiprat to let loose of some of those shillings:biggrin:

Skie_M

Whoa, wait, who said anything about shingles?

Don't those go on the roof?

I like the cedar ones that they put on the side of your house, too .... I found out that enough for 100 square feet of siding costs about 100 dollars.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have had shingles.....you can have them. Hurt and itch like hell.
NOT Shingles!!!:mad: Shillings.....that's what they call some of their coins over where Skiprat lives (most of the time) 'cept when he's off in some other nation building stuff...or whatever he does:rolleyes: and, keep your itchy stuff for yourself :wink:

Whoa, wait, who said anything about shingles?

Don't those go on the roof?

I like the cedar ones that they put on the side of your house, too .... I found out that enough for 100 square feet of siding costs about 100 dollars.
No....the coins don't go on the roof....or the side of the house. They go in my pocket. But $100.00 works for ME!!:biggrin: I'll PM my paypal addy :biggrin:

Top Bottom