Getting swirls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

immls

I've you=tubed & googled
I trying to make a red blank with white swirls. I'm using the HF powdered coating for color. I can get them to cure ok but I don't think I am putting the white in at the right time. I tried mixing straight powder into the red I had poured into the mold and also tried to pour some mixed up white into the red that was poured into the mold. The red either starts to turn pink or the white never shows up?
Thanks.

PTownSubbie

Do some research on here. There are plenty of threads that talk about this.

Here are a few tips:
Mix two seperate colors in different cups. Mixing two colors together will mix them and join colors
Catalize your colors and allow them to partially harden before you pour. Think of cold honey texture.

With these two tips and others that you can mine, you will be fine with swirls. Your colors are mixing rather than staying seperate.

Good luck!

workinforwood

yep..it's exactly like Fred says. It's all about the right timing of the pour. When the two separate colors start to solidify or gel, then when they are poured together they won't mix together much..the more gelling it does, the less the colors will blend together, but wait too long and your resin is not leaving the cups! The swirling itself pretty much happens automatically by pouring the colors over top of each other. If you want some finer swirls, run a Popsicle stick through it, but not too much or you mix the colors together. It all takes practice, but PR is not very expensive at least.

Top Bottom